Howlers and cornish pixies

Lucy POV

Detention on the first day that's got to be some kind of record."

"You should consider yourselves luck that's all you received." Harmoney states.

"Yeah well you should mind your own business." Ron muttered.

The next day our first class is in the greenhouse. "Gather round second and third years." Madam Sprout tells us. "Today we will be reporting mandrake roots. Who can tell me about their properties? Instantly Harmoney and Lucy's hands go up. "Miss Granger."

"Mandrake also known as Mandragora is used to return those who have been transfigured back to their original state. It's also extremely dangerous as their cry is fatal."

"Very good. Ten points for Griffendore. As our Mandrakes are only seedlings their cries aren't deadly but they can render you unconscious for several hours. That is why I've provided you each with a pair of earmuffs. If you will then." Madam Sprout replies as she pulls the mandrake out of the pot. Instantly it begins to shriek. Neville instantly faints. As Madam Sprout places the mandrake in the new pot she takes off her earmuffs and we each do the same. "Mr. Longbottom has been neglecting his earmuffs." Madam Sprout says shaking her head in disappointment.

"No. He just fainted."

"Very well, step over him. There is plenty to go around."

After I replant my mandrake I watch as Kat pulls the mandrake out and it instantly begins to cry. "Shhh it's ok little one." She whispers to it and to my surprise it stops crying and begins to cooo. Kat smiles and then places the mandrake in it's new pot.

Kat POV

A little while later we are in the great hall as owls begin to arrive. A owl crashes into the table. "Bloody owl. It's a menace." Ron mutters. He instantly pails upon seeing what the owl has brought him.

"Look everyone Ron's got himself a howler." Shemus says.

"Go on Ron. Open it. I got one from my Gran once. I ignored it and it wasn't pretty. Neville warns Ron.

Ron pails a little more as he opens it. Instantly a woman's angry shrill voice is heard. "Ronald Weasley! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! YOUR FATHER IS NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND ITS ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU SO MUCH AS PUT A TOE OUT OF LINE I'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!" Then the voice became calm as it addressed Ron's sister. "Oh and congratulations Ginny on making Griffendor your father and I are so proud." Then turning its attention back to Ron the howler raspberries him before ripping itself up to shreds. Instantly the table bursts into shreds.

I sigh as I too receive a howler. "KATHERINA ROSEALYNN LILIANA DABRIA LUPIN! I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU YOUNG LADY! YOU HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN IN SCHOOL FOR A DAY AND IVE ALREADY RECEIVED A LETTER ABOUT YOUR BEHAVIOR. YOU HAD BEST SHAPE UP OR I WONT HESITATE TO PULL YOU FROM HOGWORTS. IS THAT CLEAR?" At this I let out a slight whimper. Then turning to Lucy the letter says nicely "oh and Lucy congratulations on selling some of your first robes. I'm very proud of you. Try not to spend it all at once." It then turns back to me and shakes its mouth back and forth. "I Am so disappointed in you." It says once more before ripping itself up. I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes and my lower lip begin to tremble. Instantly Lucy is by my side.

"It's ok Kat. Don't cry. I'm sure dad's not really disappointed in you. I bet the letter is just for show." She whispers to me. I sigh and nod.

After lunch we head to D.A.D. Class. I sigh not looking forward to this class as I normally would. "Let me introduce you to your new defense against the dark arts teacher. Gilderoy Lockheart. Order of Merlin third class, honorary member of the dark force defense team and five time winner of witch weeklys most charming smile award. But I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at it." He waits for the class to laugh but only received a few smiles and Lucy and I rolling our eyes.

"He's so full of himself." Lucy whispers to me and I can't help but stifle a giggle. Luckily he doesn't hear me.

"Oh good I see you've all bought a complete set of my all books. Very good."

"Only because we had no choice." Lucy whispers again and again I can't help but stifle a giggle.

"Lets start today with a pop quiz. Nothing to worry about. Just to see how much you've read and taken in." Lockheart says passing out the quiz. I frown as I read the questions.

"Look at these questions they are all about him." Lucy whispers. "What's Guilderoy lockhearts favorite color? What is his greatest achievement to date? When is his birthday and what is his ideal gift? I knew he was full of himself but this is ridiculous." I nod.

"You have thirty minutes you may begin." After reading the questions I decided to not even try and answer them correctly. They are useless and a complete waste of time. In fact I intend to tell him so.

"Yes Miss Lupin? You have a question."

"Yes Umm, not to be rude but could you please explain to me what any of these stupid questions about you have to with D.A.D?" I ask with a bit of an attitude.

"Kat."

The Professor frowns but does not reply. Instead he turns to the class with a disappointed look. "I'm disappointed. Hardly any of you knew that my favorite color is turquoise."

"Who cares." I reply rolling my eyes.

"Miss Lupin see me after class." Professer Lockheart says with a frown and Lucy groans.

"Why? She didn't do anything wrong." Lucy replies.

"Do not argue Miss Lupin unless you'd like to join your sister."

Lucy sighs. "Fine."

Lockhearts gaze grows dark. "Now be warned. It is my job to arm you against the fowlest creatures known. You may find yourself facing your worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you when I am here."

Lucy rolls her eyes and whispers "sure. Whatever."

"I must ask you not to scream. It might prevoke them." As a true showman he lets us wait several minutes before pulling off the cover.

"Cornish pixies?" One of our classmates say with a scoff.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies." He replies. Instantly a few of our classmates burst into laughter. "Laugh if you will but pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them." With that he releases the pixies from their cage. Instantly they begin to cause trouble. "Come now they are only pixies." He states until one manages to grab his wand and toss it out the window. He then joins the throng of students who have rushed out the door. Leaving Harry, Ron, Hermiony Lucy and I to deal with them. "I'll just ask you five to round the rest of them up." He says as he closes the door behind us.

"Coward." Lucy mutters.

"Now what?" Ron asks. Lucy and Hermiony lift their wands and cast a spell freezing the pixies in mid air. "Can you believe him?" Ron says shaking his head.

"I'm sure he just wanted to give us some hands on experience." Hermiony replies.

"Hands on? He has no clue what he's doing." Ron replies.

"You know I hate agreeing with Weasley but he's right." Lucy replies.

"Rubbish. Read his books. You will see all the amazing things that he's done."

"That he claims to have done." Lucy replies and Ron nods.