25 - Facing the Truth

Start from the beginning

When he released me, I laughed. "You finally grew," I observed, looking up at him a little more than I had 5 months ago. I squeezed his ribs and noted, "But you're still too skinny."

He held my shoulders in his hands and smiled widely. "I have good metabolism...sue me."

I chuckled lightly and nodded. It felt easy and comfortable talking to Embry. We laughed and joked together in the most natural way. He finally asked me what I knew he was dying to know. "So I take it you're not here to see me?" he asked hopefully.

I scowled playfully at him. "I'm not here to see Paul either, so don't feel bad."

He bit back a smile and nodded slowly. He slipped his arm around my shoulder and guided me to his locker, that he had already begun clearing out. "So do I have to guess?" he mused as he tossed out a handful of papers.

I leaned on the locker next to his and shook my head. "I'm interviewing for student teaching positions. Not just here, but in Forks and Port Angeles. I wouldn't start until after Christmas though."

Embry looked at me with a crazy smile. "You...teaching here? That would be crazy."

I sighed. "Let's hope I don't end up here. I hate to think how that would go down."

Embry glanced over my shoulder and scowled. I followed his line of sight, noticing Paul and Leah halfway down the hall as she watched him clean out his locker. "How long has that been going on?" I asked absently, trying to act like I didn't care.

"About a week or two. Her longtime boyfriend, Sam was missing for a few weeks. He shows back up, all muscular and shit with his hair cut off and proceeds to dump her. Oh and he fell for her cousin in the process. Isn't that messed up?"

"Wow," I replied. "And now she's with Paul?"

"No...I don't...I think they're just friends, Rachel," he sputtered nervously. "I don't think he likes her like that."

Leah was tossing her head back and laughing. It sure as hell looked like flirting to me. "I'm gonna go," I announced suddenly. This was the last place I wanted to be.

"Have you seen Jacob yet?"

I shook my head quickly. "I've only seen you."

We glanced back down the hallway, where Leah was running her hand up Paul's arm. I felt nauseous. "I just can't be here right now."

Embry looked down at me and frowned. "You're gonna have to deal with him eventually."

"But not now," I replied sadly. I glanced back to them and cursed under my breath. Paul and Leah were walking this way, arm in arm. "I wish I could just disappear."

Embry looked at them and pulled me close to him. He wedged me between him and his opened locker. He lifted his arms and tucked me under his chin, completely hiding me from Paul. I leaned in closer to him when I heard Paul's voice. "Damn, Embry...are you coming up for air or what?"

I could feel myself shaking as Paul smacked Embry on the back, pushing us even closer together. After a few minutes had passed, Embry closed his arms around me and whispered, "I think he's gone."

I tipped my head back and peered up at him. "Please check."

Embry nodded almost imperceptibly. He leaned back and looked toward the exit. "I don't see him anymore."

A gave him a small smile and nodded. "Thanks. I really owe you one."

Embry gave me a devilish smile and bit his lip. "Oh really?"

I rolled my eyes at him and pushed him back gently. "You're such a pervert. I gotta go."

He laughed as I slinked down the hall and out of his sight. I was still smiling until I looked up and saw Paul leaning against his Bronco, with his back to me, and Leah facing him. She was leaning into him, I assumed for a kiss. I nearly sprinted to my dad's truck, hoping he wouldn't notice me.