Stop With The Blame Game (Mild Mature Content)

This one shot was requested by pepperpie27. I hope it is enjoyed.

______________________________________________

Derek chalks it up to guilt and fear. It’s not what he meant to say when he calls Stiles useless. Derek didn’t mean useless as in Stiles has no use to him or the pack, he meant in the way that Stiles cannot do anything in fight due to his human status. When he saw Stiles in the middle of a fight with witches, Derek just panicked. Stiles is undeniably the glue that holds the pack together, and Derek cannot risk having him hurt.

            With that being said, Derek Hale is bad at communication.

            Derek should have calmly tried to explain to Stiles that the young man is a soft, breakable human that honestly has no business running wolves. What comes out is harsh toned word vomit that makes Derek cringe every time he thinks back the conversation. Derek remembers calling Stiles useless and idiotic as the young man just stood letting Derek chastise him in quiet fury.    

            After Derek yells at him for a good half hour straight until he finally feels the fury inside of him lessen slightly. Derek runs his hands though his hair before telling Stiles to get out, and go home. Stiles leaves without a word, and slams the door on his way out.

****

            Derek knows something is wrong the second he walks into the Hale house, and he is almost immediately suffocated by the smell of lost and sadness. He is momentarily stunned, but he makes it to the living room where his betas are waiting for him with sad eyes. “What happened?” Derek snarls, and he tries to do a head count of all his betas when he realizes he is missing one.

            Stiles.

            “Where is Stiles?” Derek snarls, and the pack flinches violently at his tone and red eyes. No one seems like they want to answer his question, but Scott manages to speak up.

            “He’s gone.” Scott whispers, and Derek whips his head in his direction.

            “What do you mean gone?” Derek snaps, and he turns to see Erica crying quietly into Isaac’s shoulder while Boyd rubs her back with a grim expression. Derek is at a loss for words.

            “He told his dad he needed some space from us, and he left.” Scott says, and his eyes are watery with unshed tears. Derek isn’t sure how to handle the raw emotional feeling in his belly, and he just watches his betas grieve the loss of a pack member.

            Derek isn’t sure why this feeling is so emotional, Stiles is alive he just left, but it hurts him in his soul to have Stiles gone from his life. Derek takes a few deep breathes before he gives the betas what he hopes to be a comforting look of encouragement. “Let him go for a few days then we’ll look for him.” Derek says, and the pack nods.

****

            A few days turn into a few weeks without any signs of Stiles. Derek finally gets desperate and asks John about where his son is hiding. John tells Derek that he has no idea where his son is, and that Stiles just calls him but hasn’t actually told his father where he is living now.   Derek can listen to his heartbeat, and know that the older man isn’t lying, but that doesn’t help Derek now.

            He had followed Stiles’ scent as best he could, but it was fading. Derek could barely even smell him anymore in the house or in the woods. The betas had tracked his scent almost the second day he had left, but it lead to a dead end. Derek knew that if Stiles didn’t want to be found, he was not going to find the younger man.