Coming Home

This one shot was requested by Hale_Stilinski_. They wanted Derek coming home from the military to surprise Stiles. Enjoy!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Stop." Erica says, running her hand through her hair and Stiles just looks at her. Stiles puts his phone face down before turning it back over not a second later.

"Stop what?" He asks, innocently and Erica rolls her eyes before taking his phone from his hands. She flips it around to reveal the calendar he has been looking at for the past hour while he was supposed to be having brunch with Erica.

"Staring at your calendar. It's not going to make him come home faster, Stiles." Erica hisses, and Stiles yanks his phone out of her hands with an indignant huff.

"I'm sorry, Erica. I didn't realize that your husband was in military." Stiles says, and Erica rolls her eyes.

"He was." Erica argues, and Stiles stares at the background of his phone. It is a picture of him and Derek at the beach only hours after they got married. Two days later Derek was shipping out to the Middle East, and Stiles was alone.

That was ten months ago.

"Well he's home now, so let me count down the days down in peace till my husband does." Stiles says, and he goes back to staring at his phone. Derek is coming back in two weeks, and Stiles is practically jumping out of his skin.

Stiles likes spending time with Erica because she knows how hard it is to miss your spouse when they're away. Boyd was gone for almost two years before he came back, so Stiles knows he can do it but it doesn't make it easier.

"You're going to drive yourself crazy, Stiles." Erica says, gently and Stiles knows that she speaks from experiences. Stiles witnessed firsthand the way Erica would blow up at times when she missed Boyd the most. She would go for days with eating or speaking to anyone, and Stiles has found himself in that position several times these past ten months.

"I just want him home." Stiles whispers, and he feels like crying but he doesn't want to because he has cried enough.

"He will be home." Erica promises, and Stiles sniffs and goes back to looking at his phone.

****

"Hey, baby." Stiles finally hears, and he waves over Skype to his husband. Derek is still in his uniform, but has taken the jacket off in favor of a tan tee that everyone over there has. Stiles sighs in relief, and he shifts the laptop on the counter to see him better.

"Hey, you." Stiles says back, and Derek smiles wide at him.

"It's so creepy when you smile, Serg." Stiles hears someone over the webcam says, and Stiles laughs while Derek shrugs his shoulders. Derek turns his attention to someone off the camera.

"I'm allowed to smile at my husband, Private." Derek says, and then he turns his attention back to Stiles. Stiles smiles softly at him, and he just drinks Derek in. He misses him so much, but seeing him just over the webcam somehow makes him feel worst and Stiles begins to cry. "Baby. Baby." Derek coos, and Stiles wipes harshly at his eyes.

"I'm fine, okay." Stiles snaps, and his bottom lip trembles as he meets Derek's eyes again. Derek watches him careful before speaking to him.

"How are Scott and Allison?" Derek asks, and his face blurs briefly before catching up to the rest of him. Stiles wants laugh at the mundane question despite their not really mundane lives, and Stiles just wants a mundane life with Derek.