"I didn't hear the door open," Y/N said, turning around. She smiled up at him, pressing her lips to his. Ethan grinned, pressing their foreheads together. "Hungry?" She asked, pulling away, and turning back to the stove.

"Yeah," He said, sitting up on the counter. "You got work tomorrow?" He asked, throwing an onion up and down. Y/N nodded, turning the stove off.

"I gotta leave early tomorrow, I have a meeting," She said. Ethan slumped against the cupboard and she squeezed his knee.

"Where's Anne?" He asked in a few moments. He was becoming concerned, she was rarely home on time, just walking in at curfew. "Not home yet?" He asked, frowning. Y/N sighed.

"She's at her friend's, a sleepover," Y/N said, washing the knife under the tap. "Let her be, she's only 15," Y/N said. Ethan nodded and let her be.

They had dinner without Anne, just a call saying she was fine and that she'd be home the next morning. Ethan missed her. He hadn't had a proper conversation with his daughter in what felt like ages. Dinner was over and Adrian headed upstairs to get back on a call with his friends leaving Ethan and y/n alone.

Until Grayson called, asking for some help because he'd gotten his son sick, and with Grayson's wife taking care of him, no one was there for the 8-year-old. While Ethan and y/n had stopped with two kids, Grayson couldn't get enough of being a dad, and had 6. And with one sick, it was only a matter of time the others would get the bug too.

And so Ethan was officially alone for the night. He edited some, worked out a bit, even went for a run, but the man just could not sleep. And so he stayed up, popping in at Grayson's house every so often, only to be chased away.

Ethan had finally come to the conclusion that he indeed was going to be having a quiet night. So he tried reading a bit of y/n's latest novel, got bored, and decided to crash at 1 in the morning. And so Ethan was not expecting a call at 2 in the morning from his daughter.

E sat up, picking up his phone, bed still empty next to him and smiled as he saw Anne's name pop up on the screen. But his smile fell when he heard her voice, several pitches higher than usual. "Come open the door, daddy!" Anne screeched into the voice. Ethan crawled out of bed, a worried frown on his face.

Anne hadn't called him that in years. Once she became aware of the sexual references that came with the nickname, she refused to call him it. Ethan missed it, felt like she was growing out of his little princess, but didn't care too much. He was weirded out enough by the millions of girls who called him the same nickname.

"I'm coming," He said as he ran down the stairs and towards the door, frowning when he heard video game noises outside if Aiden's room. "Anne?" Ethan asked, phone falling to the floor as Anne fell in. He caught her tiny body in his arms and she giggled, leaning into him.

"He broke up with me!" She said. Ethan frowned. A breakup? Ethan wasn't even aware of the fact that she even had a boyfriend. "I didn't fuck him so he broke up with me!" She yelled. Ethan's fists clenched as he wrapped his arms around his daughter, holding her up.

"Who, princess, who broke up with you?" He asked. A part of Ethan didn't believe her. His little princess with a boyfriend. No. "Anne, why are you drunk?" He asked, locking the front door and helping her onto the living room couch.

"I, daddy, am not drunk," She said giggling, all the while, tears streaming down her face. Ethan wiped his face with his palm, still so confused. "Sorry for not telling you about my boyfriend, he was an asshole so it doesn't matter right, daddy?" She asked. Ethan shook his head, about to answer as he heard footsteps down the stairs.

"Anne?" Aiden asked, staring at his sister, giggling uncontrollably on the couch. Ethan turned to see his son. "What the fuck is going on?" He asked.