mute//e.d

ethan's pov

I lifted her up and smiled at her. "How was your day, princess?" I asked her. She didn't reply. She just smiled at me and wrapped her arms around my neck. I sighed and held her tight. "I missed you," I said, walking out of the daycare. She pulled away and smiled at me and nodded, saying that she missed me too.

Putting Madeline on the ground next to me, she reached out for my hand. We walked to my car in silence, as we normally did, as we approached the car. I held the car door open for her as she got in and shut it.

Madeline has selective mutism. Her anxiety gets the best of her and she's afraid of talking. When me and Gray were donating to charities a while back, we donated to an adoption agency. Going in to visit, we came across Madeline. She's been living there the whole 3 years of her life and had yet to find a home. Needless to say, despite being not married, I knew I wanted her to be my daughter.

Driving home, my phone rang. Y/N. I answered and put it on speaker. "E?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm just driving home," I replied. I heard y/n closing a door in the background. "What's up?"

"No, I just wanted to know where you guys were, you picked her up?" She asked. I nodded and then realized she couldn't see me.

"Yup, do you wanna say hi, Mads?" I asked Madeline, stopping at a red light. She waved at me. "She waved at you," I told y/n. I heard a small laugh.

"Hi, angel." She said to Madeline. I smiled, pulling into our driveway. "Okay, I see you guys, hold on." I smiled before parking the car and pulling my keys out. I saw the front door open as I grabbed Madeline out of her car seat.

As soon as I put Madeline down she ran to the door, towards y/n. Throwing her tiny arms around y/n, she hugged her. Y/N smiled before crouching down to hug her properly. I walked into the house behind them as Madeline held y/n's hand. I smiled and pecked y/n on the lips.

She smiled before coughing. "Awe, are you feeling any better?" I asked. She shrugged. "Did you take anything? Like, medicine?" I asked. She shook her head. I sighed.

"I guess, taking the day off helped," Y/N said. I nodded. "I just don't want either of you to get sick." She said. I smiled. I shook my head and kissed her on the forehead. I looked down for Madeline.

"Where'd she go?" I asked. Y/N looked down and frowned. "Madeline?" I called out.

Running from the kitchen, Madeline came in, something clutched in her fist. "What's that, baby?" Y/N asked, crouching down. Madeline held out the little bottle in her hand. "Is that your medicine, awe, baby," Y/N stood up giving me the bottle. I looked at it. It was the Tylenol we gave Mads when she was sick. I smiled.

"Did you get her medicine because she was sick?" I asked her. Madeline nodded. I smiled and lifted her up. "You're so sweet," I said squeezing her. She giggled and y/n kissed her on the head.

"Okay, I'm going to make you a snack, wanna help, my love?" Madeline nodded and grabbed y/n's hand. "Do you want something, babe?" Y/N looked up at me. I shook my head.

"Nah, I'm not hungry," I said. She nodded and I felt Something around my leg. I looked down to see Madeline hugging me. "I love you," I whispered to her. She smiled at me and kissed me on the cheek following y/n into the kitchen.

---

"Ready for bed?" I asked. She shook her head and pointed at herself. I pretended to be confused as she giggled and pulled at her shirt. "Okay, okay, let's get you changed, princess." I picked her up and set her on the bed as I helped her change into her PJs.

Y/N walked into the room and smiled. "I think I'm going to go to work tomorrow, I feel better," I turned and smiled at her, as Madeline stood up on the bed. She wrapped her arms around my neck as I picked her up. "Do you want to come to work with me tomorrow, instead of daycare?" She asked. I looked at Madeline, who nodded eagerly in response.

"Alright, then I guess I'll just be lonely all day with Grayson," I said, rolling my eyes. Madeleine giggled and pointed at me and y/n's bed. "What's wrong, princess?" I asked.

She just pointed at the bed again and I put her down. She made her way to the middle and got under to covers. "Awe, do you want to sleep here tonight?" Y/N asked her. Madeline nodded. I smiled and nodded. "Sure why not?" Y/N said, before going to turn off the lights everywhere else.

"Don't you want your teddy bear?" I asked. She shook her head and I sighed. "Awe, don't grow up too fast, princess." I pouted and she giggled. I smiled as I changed into my own PJs to get into bed with her. Y/N walked in soon, too and climbed into bed next to Madeline.

"Well, I guess we're going to be going to bed really early then, E." She said. I chuckled and turned the light off before climbing in on the other side of Madeline. "Goodnight my loves," Y/N whispered. I sighed.

"Goodnight," I whispered back, closing my eyes and wrapping an arm around Madeline's small body.

"I love you," Madeline said in a voice barely above a whisper.

I heard y/n let out a small gasp and my jaw fell as tears filled my eyes. I squeezed her as I kissed her on the forehead, a tear falling into her hair.