Chapter Eighty-One

Start from the beginning

Janet blushes, "Well, considering I got a Soul Train Music Award for it already!" She grins.

I smile.

Janet clears her throat, "Enough about me.." She softly says.

"How are you doing? Michael wouldn't tell me much but he did tell me the main details." Janet explains.

I sigh, crossing my arms. "I don't know, Janet." I shrug.

"He's so mad. Michael let his wedding band on the nightstand." I cover my mouth as I start to cry.

"His damn wedding band, Janet! The last time he did that was because it reminded him of me but.." I feel myself start to choke up.

"It's only nice because I have something of his that absolutely proves our love." I say.

"I have some of his clothing in the closet but.. I need Michael back. I need my marriage." I furrow my eyebrows.

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry." I sniffle, wiping my eyes.

Janet holds me closer to her as she embraces me in a hug. "No, it's fine, Mia." She softly says, rubbing my back.

I sniffle, "I honestly think I screwed us up enough for a divorce. I don't want that and it's.. I don't like saying that at all! Michael is giving me this impression that that is what he wants." I cry.

"We have children, Janet! He's going to take my children away from me!" I cry harder.

"Shh.." She hugs me tighter.

"Michael is never going to divorce you. He's just really angry right now. I admit, what you did wasn't the best for your marriage but I can understand why you did it." She says.

I nod, "Michael didn't understand, obviously.." I mumble.

"I doubt he even said that." I say.

Janet furrows her eyebrows, "What do you mean?" She quietly says.

"I doubt Michael said anything about not divorcing me." I say.

Janet sighs, "Okay, he didn't say that.. He didn't say anything bad about your marriage!" She exclaims.

I let go of her, "That's bullshit, Janet. That's total bullshit." I whimper.

"It was our one year anniversary. I swear, I must've jinxed the next one to be bad as well!" I cry out.

"If there even is a next year.." I mumble.

Janet sighs, "Mia, you need to calm down. You're acting like a kid. Both you and Michael are acting like children." She sternly says.

I glare at her, "I'm just broken, Janet." I squeak.

Janet frowns, "I know, Mia.." She softly says back.

Janet looks behind me, "What are you getting ready for?" She quietly asks.

I turn around, staring at my radio and packed up bags for tomorrow.

"Michael's gift to me was to dance in New York for Julliard. As a performance." I say.

"Not an audition." I quietly say.

Janet grins, "That's fantastic, Mia! I remember how much you wanted to go to that school!" She chuckles.

I crack a grin, "Yeah." I quietly chuckle.

"It's too late for me to go to school but Michael got me a spot to perform in." I grin.

"And I went off and did this to him." I whisper.

Janet shakes her head, "You should take the opportunity, Mia. I know Michael wants you too." She quietly says.

I look up at her, "I am... F-For Michael." I nod.

Janet scans me. "I can see what ballet does for you..." She frowns."

I furrow my eyebrows as Janet walks around me in circles. "I don't understand." I shyly say.

Janet shakes her head, "You were doing so well, Mia. I mean with your health." She says.

Janet frowns, "I know your illness messes with your weight and it causes you to lose weight but I think this time it's you." She says scanning me.

My eyes widen as I gulp, looking down at myself.

"When is the last time you've eaten?" She asks me.

I bite my lip, "This morning." I squeak.

Janet stares into my eyes, "That's a lie." She sternly says, touching my sides.

"You've always been slim but you used to be bony when-" She stops herself.

She sighs. "Just take care of yourself, Mia." Janet says.

I frown. I know she's worried but I can take care of myself. It's just hard without Michael and my children.. Goodness, the things my family does to me. 

"I leave tomorrow for New York. I can invite anyone so if you'd like to go, you can.." I quietly say, holding onto my hands.

Janet grins, "I'd love to, Mia. I'll try to get some more of our family to come too. We miss seeing you dance." Janet says.

I blush, "I didn't dance for that long, Jan." I say, feeling embarrassed.

Janet giggles, "More than ten years of dancing is a long time!" She exclaims.

I smirk.

"Next we'll need to get you back into modeling." Janet winks at me.

I feel my face heat up. "One step at a time, Janet." I breathe.

Janet chuckles, "I better go so you can practice more." She says.

"I love you, Mia." Janet says, hugging me.

I blush, "I love you too, Janet." I quietly say.

Janet squeezes me as she lets me go. "I'll see you in New York. When is the performance?" She asks.

I smile, "In exactly three days, which is on the twenty-fourth!" I say.

"At eight o'clock." I add.

Janet grins, opening the front door. "I'll see you then." She says, walking out the front door.

I weakly smile, closing the front door.

My heart drops as I lean against the door.

I'm all alone again.. I cover my face, crying. 

Just think about the positives.. Which is only dancing. I take a deep breath, trying to pull myself together.

I rush back towards my radio, putting classical music on.

I gulp, spinning around.

Dance the pain away.