35. You, me and everyone else

Start from the beginning

He looked around; the party had dwindled to some people lingering here and there. Ethan was gone, but his son was still here with very few guests. There was no sign of Alex, but Logan saw Eliza walking out of the front door, a frown twisted on her lips. He hastily followed her to her car.

"Where is she? Eliza, where is she?" His voice was urgent as he looked at his sister.

"She went away. What do you want to do now? Wasn't that enough already?" Eliza scorned at him as she rummaged through her purse, looking for something.

"Alone? Did you let her go alone? Are you that stupid?" Logan glared at his sister. She wasn't in the position to drive a car. For God's sake, she was crying.

And you are the reason for that.

"What do you think I should have done? I was the one who asked her to stay and fight for you and she had agreed to all our stupid, insensitive plans. Now, here we are, again and I am also the reason she is crying. God! What have I done?"

"Did she go to your house?" Logan ignored his sister's monologue.

"She can't even look at me. I doubt that she is coming to my house anytime soon." Eliza sighed and she looked so tired. Logan almost pitied her conundrum, but he didn't have time to be sensitive about all this.

He needed to find Alex, he needed to know that she was safe. And good.

"You and Emma, you should have minded your own business. You didn't have the right to meddle in our relationship." Logan complained. "You guys are the reason for-"

"What relationship? The one conjured by your contract?" Eliza scoffed. "But you are right. We should have minded our own damn business. We really should have. Even after knowing you, we thought there is still some semblance of Beth left in you, some semblance of US. But you are Barbara's son." Eliza nodded as if it all made sense. Her eyes, those amber eyes were alert and aware. It made Logan nervous.

"What do you mean?" Logan grunted with frustration.

"You blame Barbara for making you like this, don't you?"

Eliza chuckled drily as he nodded.

"She left. And people leave. You can't blame me for-"

"I don't blame you, Logan. I blame Barbara. She is to blame, not because she left you --us-- but because she gave you her genes. You are like our birth mother, Logan. That much is proven now." Eliza shook her head with dejection. "You can not be saved. We tried. And we are sorry we tried. Now Alex is hurt."

"I am nothing like Barbara." Logan spat at his sister. She didn't back off. She stood there, tall and angry and he had never seen Eliza that angry. "And I don't need saving. I don't need you guys to save me. I am rich, powerful and I can save myself."

"You are. Rich and powerful. Yes. The way you chase after money, after success, doesn't it sound like someone you knew? She wasn't wrong to chase after money and fame, as well and you blamed her for leaving you. Us. You are doing the same thing to Alex, as well, Logan. Exactly the same." Eliza said.

"Alexandra and I, we are different. Our marriage wasn't real and I didn't leave her for money or fame, I already have enough."

"Let's just hope you have enough money to fill your empty heart, Logan, when you become tired and old. Enough money to love you back, to take care of you, to talk back to you." Eliza sighed as if she could not bear to talk anymore. "Wait, you have money and you can buy someone to talk to you, to take care of you, maybe even love you." She shrugged as she pulled something out from her clutch.

"My heart isn't empty. Just because I can not love someone doesn't mean-" Logan started, only to be cut off by his sister again.

"You can't love someone other than yourself, and it is not a mistake." Eliza shrugged as if she had profiled him or something. "You can't keep blaming Barbara for your shortcomings. It is cowardly way out. If you can't love, be man enough to admit that. Don't keep whining about Barbara. She left us, too. She hurt dad more than she hurt any one of us and look at dad. Dad is happy and I have never seen anyone as happy as he and Beth is. So..."