156. Counting down the moments

[Days to Ragnarok]

[8 days]

The very next day, the gleaming army of Calphian embarked.

It was a moment for the history books, since it was the first time the Pearly City had ever assembled their army in this fashion. It was also one that bore no likeness to any before it. Because of the natural population of the Pearly City, the High Elves of the Light Clan were women. Although it wasn't novel for the High Elves, the refugees remarked on it. For never had an army of elves been so lovely or so fearsome.

Their silvery armor glistened and twinkled like they wore the stars themselves. And it glistened under the sunlight that peeked through the canopy and reflected off the lustrous buildings.

But that wasn't the only thing that made the army so intimidating. Their ranks were bolstered by the knights on stags, druids with their predators, and those who had once been hunted as monsters all wearing the glittering armor of the Pearly City. Thousands of soldiers marched to face the demonic threat. To bolster the front lines and rescue their allies.

Cheers rang out through the city and magic danced in celebration.

They were led by the mighty Sylvan Knight Clera. She rode at the front of the army on an ethereal shimmering Elk in equally imposing armor. She knew better than to show any weakness, this was her choice. She couldn't help but wonder how Cal felt about this whole affair. She believed in him. But in the back of her mind she knew he was imperfect. He was resourceful, but would it be enough?

Clera knew better than anybody that both Shayley and Cal had different ideas about what to do with the city. They both had very strong personalities and it was horrified at the possibility that they would become enemies and split the city in two. She often wondered think about which side she would take.

Just as she was in the depths of her thought something caught her eye. As the army marched passed the guild, a crowd stood on the second story loft that reached toward the street. Cal stood there with Ophelia in his arms and Selene beside them. The rest of the crowd waved and cheered, but those three grabbed her attention.

Cal looked tired. Ghastly even. What had he been up to?

All the same, he had a big grin on his face. It was like he knew what she was thinking, because he nodded at her.

How?

How was it that such a simple action eased her anxious soul? It was like he knew that she was worried and was showing her that he supported her and had everything under control. She couldn't hide her smile and sat just a little taller on her mount.

*

Once the army was out of sight Cal leaned on Selene... literally.

He almost passed out from the amount of concentration it was taking to get everything done. Everything was almost set up. Eight days.

A week and a day.

There was no use, if he literally worked himself to death. "Alright, everyone." He said as he turned to his guild and employees. They watched him anxiously. "Today, we close our doors and have our own celebration! Today is a momentous occasion. There's no reason to hold back. I need a break; you need a break. So, let's party until we drop."

There was a sigh of relief. Everyone had been extremely worried about him and he appreciated it. But maintaining morale was also important for a leader. He'd been cooped up in his office for days on end and was reaching the limits of his own sanity with cabin fever. In the meantime, the guild had been facing its own set of issues.