137. The Three Druids

Ves'rigand was amazed by the city she walked through as the twilit painted everything with magical warm colors as the light reflected off the buildings like they were thousands of crystal mirrors. Pearl stone, semi transparent geodes, and woven trees were built and grown together. She wondered how long she'd be able to relax but when her husband squeezed her hand she smiled and pressed her cheek against his shoulder.

"Everything is so beautiful here. How is it that we have nothing like this where we are from?" Ves'rigand asked Alvidan.

"I've heard that the Pearly City is the exception in just about every regard. It started as a guild fortress for Great Ones, then the peculiar Brother Calloway took charge of the development and turned it into a fortress-city." Alvidan explained.

"How is it possible that one man was able to accomplish so much? No matter where we go, I can't stop hearing about him. I'd be annoyed if I weren't so impressed." Ves'rigand giggled.

"Indeed, you have to wonder about the man that charmed someone like the beautiful Sword Queen."

"I'm right here, Alvidan." She pouted playfully.

"You know I only have eyes for you." Alvidan kissed the top of her head. "I'm just referring to Queen Shayley's unique qualities. As a Dravenkin warrior and princess, and now queen of this new kingdom I can only wonder if she is a mythical hero from the legends."

"I know what you mean. After everything we've heard about this place, it's strange how it was all true and yet nothing at all like the rumors. This city is equal parts beautiful and dangerous. It is peaceful and harmonious, yet there are warriors and predators around every corner who can and do spring into action." Ves'rigand then noticed something strange beyond their guards.

The druids seemed to be walking passed them in a hurry. She had no understanding of the ways of the Pearly City's druids, but if they were concerned with something she thought it would be prudent to understand what was happening. There were a few small groups of them and she stopped a trio in order to find out what was happening.

"Pardon me, is something wrong?" she asked.

The druids each had a set of antlers and were dressed in greens and browns robes. They were humble clothes but not those of poor men. They looked rather comfortable for both leisure and combat. The first greet her with a pleasant smile. "Nothing is wrong. Something exciting is happening." He explained.

"What is happening?" Alvidan asked.

"Well it may not be much of a draw for an outsider, but the Guildmaster is teaching the cursed child-" the druid was elbowed by his friend. "Excuse me, his adopted daughter, the oracle, how to make a druid's staff."

Alvidan laughed nervously, "You're right, I don't quite understand."

"If you want, we can tell you on the way." the druid offered and when Ves'rigand nodded they followed the druids.

"Well you see the Guildmaster is new, we hadn't had an Adventurer's guild in several hundred years." The first druid started. "But in a couple months he's started a guild, a café, and adopted the cursed child, a young dryad half-breed."

The second druid continued. "She basically told you when you were going to die or when something bad would happen to you. But the Guildmaster adopted her and then walked out and brought the Dravenkin back to the city to establish an alliance."