Chapter 194

Sitting in her car outside Jax's house, Shawn pulled her phone from her purse and began looking for a number to call. Ally was quietly playing with a toy in her car seat, something Shawn knew would change once the boys were back there with her, and she wanted a little quiet for a moment to make her call. There was one person she had to talk to before they left.

"Hello?" Lyla answered on the third ring.

"Hey, Ly," Shawn managed to get out. Her voice sounded thick as her eyes tingled with tears. "Have you heard, yet?"

"Yeah," she admitted sadly. "You leave already?"

"No. I'm about to get Abel and Thomas now. Juice is going to the garage to get his ink blacked out."

"Damn. You're really leaving me, huh?"

"It's not like that."

"I know. It's easier for me to tease you, though. I'm at the studio and I don't want to cry in front of anyone."

"I can call you later tonight once all the kids are asleep," Shawn offered.

"My kids won't be asleep. They don't go to sleep until late and then they wonder why they're so tired for school in the morning. Like, really?" Lyla laughed.

"Teenagers," Shawn said, shaking her head. She stayed silent for a moment. "Is it hard? You know, raising kids who aren't your own?"

"It was at first. I didn't know how I'd do it, but now, I don't know what I'd do without them. At least you have Juice. It's just me against them over here and I am very much outnumbered."

"Hey, it's me and Juice versus Ally and both Teller boys. We're just as screwed as you."

"You might be right about that," Lyla agreed with another laugh. "I'm going to miss the shit out of you."

"I know. Me too."

"If I had known he was going to take away my best friend, I'm not sure I would have texted Juice that one day pretending to be you."

"Yes you would have. You were hoping we'd bang in the studio and I'd give you all the details."

"Or at least turn it into a porno. Speaking of which, I'm going to be calling you for ideas. You were a lot more creative than me."

"You got it, boss. Enjoy that big chair for me."

"I will," she promised. "Should have been yours, you know."

"No. You're the right person for the job. You've been where your actors are. You know what it's like. I just fell into it. I didn't earn it. You did."

Lyla groaned. "I should go. My eyes are probably all red right now."

"Call me later?"

"Sure thing," Lyla agreed. "I love you, girl."

"Love you, too. Bye."

Shawn hung up the phone and checked her reflection in the mirror. After dabbing at her eyes, she got out of the car and carried Ally to the door.

"Time to pick up your new brothers, baby girl."

* * *

The buzzing of the tattoo gun stopped and Happy wiped away at Juice's skin. Juice chanced a glance down at his arm to see the neatly done black rectangle. He had been a little worried about Happy covering the Reaper after remembering how Clay's ink had looked when he covered it, but Happy had taken his time and made it looked presentable.

"Looks good, man. Thanks," Juice told Hap as he stood from his seat.

Happy grunted a response as he put his equipment away. Juice looked towards the office window and could see Jax was still there, working on something at the desk. He began to walk over to the office door when Happy spoke.