Chapter 59

Juice didn't think he'd sleep that night. Even after Shawn's soft sobs turned into steady breathing as she slept across his chest, Juice laid in bed, staring at the ceiling and gently stroking her hair. He must have fallen asleep at some point because the next thing he knew, he opened his eyes and saw sunlight coming through the window.

He saw that she was no longer in bed with him and could hear the water in the shower running. He had fallen asleep fully clothed, only taking off his boots and cut before getting in bed, and stood to get undressed. He didn't try to be quiet as he entered the bathroom, he didn't want to scare her.

"Ok if I come in?" He asked.

"Yeah," Shawn answered. Juice stepped into the shower. Shawn turned towards him and leaned against him. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. "I'm sorry about last night."

"You have nothing to be sorry for."

Shawn sighed, but nodded. She pulled away from him and moved so he could stand under the water. They didn't talk as they got clean. Shawn shut off the water and wrapped a towel around herself, then tossed a towel to Juice, too. They went into her room to get dressed. Shawn went downstairs and made coffee.

"What are you going to do today?" Juice asked her.

"I was thinking about going to Opie's. See if he needs any help. You?"

"Clubhouse," Juice said simply. Shawn set a cup of coffee in front of him and sat down with her own. "You should eat something."

"I'm not hungry."

"Let me make you something," Juice offered.

"Please, don't."

"I just don't want you forgetting later."

"I don't mean don't make me something. I mean don't start. I'll eat when I'm ready," Shawn snapped. She felt bad immediately. "Sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I know you're just worried about me. Come over tonight. I'll make us dinner."

"Okay," Juice agreed.

Juice left shortly after. Shawn finished getting ready and went to Opie's. His mom, Mary, answered the front door.

"Hey, Mary," Shawn greeted her awkwardly. Mary hadn't liked Shawn when she was a kid. She had thought Shawn was strange for spending so much time with boys instead of girls.

"Hi, Shawn. He's out back with the kids."

"Thanks," Shawn said and walked passed her to the back door.

Walking out side, she saw Opie pushing Kenny on the swing set. He saw her and said something to the kids before walking over to Shawn. Shawn met him half way and hugged him. He held her extra tight.

"How you doing, Ope?"

"I don't even know. I just..." he shrugged and then shook his head. "Kenny doesn't get it. Ellie's been crying a lot. I'm not going to have a viewing. Just a funeral tomorrow."

"What can I do?"

He sighed and gave her a sad smile. "What can anybody do?"

Shawn nodded. "I'm here, ok? If you think of anything or if they need anything. I don't really get what they're going through right now, but... I can relate, I guess."

"That's right. Your mom died, too."

"Yeah, I was too young to remember this part, but later."

"Thanks, I appreciate that," Opie told her earnestly. Jax came out the back door at that moment.

"Hey, darling," Jax said quietly and gave her a quick hug. "Come to help out?"

"I thought about it. I didn't realize the house would be so full," Shawn said referencing all the women who showed up to cook and clean for Opie.

"Would you mind giving us a minute?" Jax asked.

"Yeah, sure. I'm going to head out anyway." Shawn gave Opie another quick hug and waved to the kids before turning to leave. She stopped just outside the door. "Hey, Ope. Do you want me to stop by tomorrow morning? Help get the kids ready?"

"Mary will be here, but yeah, that would be good."

"Ok, see ya."

* * *

Juice went to Shawn's that night for dinner as they planned. From the moment he walked in the door, Shawn could tell something was bothering him. Something more than Donna's death. He set a cut down on her counter, which Shawn looked at confused. Juice still had his cut on.

"Whose is that?"

"Jax's."

"Why do you have it?"

"Long story. He gave it to me, though. Wasn't sure what to do with it."

"Is that what's bothering you? The long story?"

"That's an even longer story, but this is apart of it," Juice explained. "What's for dinner?"

"Steak, baked potatoes, and salad."

"Perfect. I'm starving," Juice said. Shawn continues cooking, but she looked self conscious. "You eat anything earlier?"

"I wasn't hungry."

"And now?"

"I'm going to eat, ok?"

Shawn handed him his food and they sat down in her dining room. They talked as they ate, but Shawn could tell something was off with Juice. They finished and Juice helped her clean up. When they were done, he pulled a joint out of his cut.

"Want to smoke with me?"

"Sure," Shawn agreed. They went outside and sat in the same chair like they had the last time they smoked. Juice lit the joint and took a puff before passing it to Shawn. They smoked in silence, both consumed with their own thoughts. Shawn glanced up at him and saw him looking off into space. "Whatever it is, Juice, you can talk to me."

"It's club shit. I know you don't like knowing."

"That's true, but if it's really bothering you, I want to help."

Juice thought for a second. "Do you remember when Bobby was arrested? I told you there was an eye witness. We thought the witness was Opie for awhile."

"Opie would never rat," Shawn said firmly.

"I know that now. The information was released on who the witness is. It was just a teenage girl."

"Is that bad?" Shawn asked, confused on why that was upsetting to him.

"I helped them find out where the safehouse is where they are keeping her. Some of the guys went there to..." Juice's voice trailed off for a moment. "I didn't know she was just a kid when I found out. I told Jax as soon as I knew. He went to try to stop them, but I don't know if he got there in time."

Shawn took another hit and leaned back into him. She tried to think of something to say. "You did what you thought was right at that moment and you tried your best to fix it when you knew better. There's nothing wrong with any of that." Juice just shrugged. She could tell he wasn't sold on what she said."You're a good person, Juan Carlos."

Juice finally smiled a little bit. "You really think so?"

"Do I seem like the type of girl who would be in love with someone who wasn't?"

"I guess you seem to be a good judge of character."

"Damn straight."