31.

Margaret King
Walking into my lecture the next day was as if I had just walked into a lions den, and I was their prey.
All eyes were on me, peoples judgmental looks bore into my body.
I usually didn't care if people stared. But this kind of staring was different, and I didn't like it at all.
"Miss King? A word?" My professor asked and I nodded walking back into the hallway with him.
I expected yelling, screaming, accusing, all of it. And yet none of it came.
"How are you doing?" He asked and I gripped onto my folders tighter.
"I'm not going to lie sir it's hard. It's hard walking into a room full of people who just think you're a dirty criminal." I sighed and he nodded.
"They're just scared. They know your innocent" he said and I sighed again.
"I don't want people to be scared of me anymore." I confessed.
"I'm sorry Miss King. If there's anything I can do to help just let me know. Here, this is all the notes you missed" he said handing me a blue folder with piles of paper in it.
"Thanks" I sighed and he smiled before opening the door for me.

I ignored all of the stares. All of the looks. The whispering. I went straight to the back of the room and sunk down into an empty chair, pulled out my books and began highlighting the notes he had given me.
"Mind if I sit here?" I heard from beside me and I shrugged.
"You'd sit there even if I said no" i huffed and Taron slipped into the seat next to mine.
"So I need to ask you something" he whispered and I rolled my eyes, trying to focus on the lesson going on in front of me.
But Taron was persistent.

He gently slid a piece of paper over my desk. I folded it up and shoved it in my pocket.
"Maggie"
"No it can wait" I whispered and I heard him sigh.
I was curious as to what he wanted to ask, but I knew that it had to wait. I needed to pay attention.
The hour long lecture went by quickly, and Taron waited for me to pack up my things before following me out of the room.
"Can we go to the courtyard?" He asked as we walked and I nodded.
We walked in silence, and the butterflies in my stomach come alive as our hands occasionally brushed together.
As we threw our bags down and sat under the large tree, I turned to face him.
"What is it you want to ask?" I sighed and he slowly brushed his hand over mine.
"I know I have a lot of making up to do. And I want to start now. Would you let me take you to dinner tonight?" He asked and I bit my lip to hide the large grin that threatened to appear.
I nodded and he smiled.
"Great. I'll come and get you at around seven" he rushed before jumping up. "It's quite fancy" he said before running off.
"Taron!" I yelled with a smile but he had already disappeared around the bushes.

Fancy?
I didn't do fancy.
I barely had any dresses in my wardrobe.
But I was lucky. Mum and Dad knew that universities sometimes have balls or fancy parties and mum made me buy a few dresses. At the time I hated her for making me put them on.
Now I probably owe her an apology for all the fuss I caused.

I brushed through my hair, and put on my usual makeup along with red lipstick, before sliding into the black satin dress. It came just past my knees and had a cowl neckline. I paired it with my leather jacket and some red heels.
I sat on my bed and waited for Taron to come knocking. I didn't have to wait long. I wiped my hands down my dress, a wave of nervousness washing over me as I heard the knock. I couldn't understand why I was so nervous. It was as if we were going on our first date again.
I took a deep breath before opening the door.

Taron stood in a navy suit and a white shirt, paired with black shoes.
"Fuck," he said with a smile and I felt my cheeks  heat up from underneath my makeup.
"I don't like attention" I groaned covering my eyes. He pried my hands away from my face and smiled widely.
"You deserve everyone's attention. You're so beautiful"
I couldn't help but smile at his words. I hadn't forgiven him but I knew I would. Eventually. But not easily.

The restaurant was gorgeous.
Soft jazz music was playing quietly through the room.
People in booths were quietly talking over amazing looking food, and dressed in amazing clothes.
I felt out of place.
"Stop thinking you're out of place here. You're not. You're absolutely stunning" Taron whispered as he sat down beside me in our booth.
"This is beautiful. But I'm not going to be able to afford any of this" I sighed. Taron laughed and put his hand on my thigh.
"You're not paying for anything. This is me trying to win you back I'm not going to make you pay" he smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.
"I can't let you do that"
"Yes you can" he giggled before planting a kiss on my cheek.

The food was delicious, everything was delicious. The night had been amazing, and my heart swelled as Taron snuck his hand into mine as we walked back to the university
He rubbed his thumb over the back of my hand and I held his hand tight.
We didn't speak.
We didn't have to.
We both knew that the feelings between us were undeniable.
No matter what had happened.