21.

Taron Mills
"I'm impressed." Eli said as I pinned Maggie to the floor again.
"Thank you" I said and helped her up.
"Do you feel ready?" He asked and I nodded.
"Yes"
"Taron you don't have to do this" Ruth said, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.
"I want to help."
"Ok" she sighed.
"So, everyone rest up. It's going to be tough, and people are going to get hurt. We leave tonight at eight" Eli said before the family dispersed.

I followed Maggie up the stairs and into her bedroom.
As soon as the door closed her mouth was on mine.
She cupped my face and passionately moved her lips over mine.
I held her waist tightly and made sure she was as close to me as she could be.
She pulled her lips off of mine and quickly wrapped her arms around my neck, holding me tight.
"What's wrong?" I whispered as she clutched me tight.
"I'm scared" she whispered.
"Maggie King? Scared?" I smiled and held her in front of me.
"I'm serious Taron. I'm terrified" she said and sat down in one of the comfy black chairs in her room.
"Why?" I asked, sitting opposite her.
"Dad has said that this is one of the most dangerous meetings we've ever been on. I'm scared someone's going to get hurt" she explained and I nodded.
"Someone will get hurt Maggie."
"I mean die Taron. I'm terrified that someone's going to die." She said and ran her hands through her hair.
"Hey listen to me, your parents, Carter, and you are the best in the business. And you've all trained me well. If anyone's going to die it'll be Mike" I said trying to reassure her.
"I just have this bad gut feeling"
"I think-"
"Taron can I please speak to you alone?" Eli said coming into the room.
"Of course" I nodded.
"Why can't I come?" Maggie said holding my hand.
"Because I said so. Maggie please, I just need to talk to Taron."
"Dad,"
"Margaret" he warned and she slumped back down in her chair, looking shocked.

I followed Eli down the corridors, until we got to the planning room.
"Sit down" he ordered and I did. "I just wanted to talk to you about what happens tonight"
"Ok"
"I'm not going to beat around the bush. If either me or Carter gets hurt tonight I need you to promise me to protect my girls" he said and I could sense a glimpse of panic in his strong eyes.
"Eli,"
"I don't want reassurance. I've been in the business too long. I know that when meetings like this come along, someone's going to get hurt. I will protect my family, and you, as much as I can, but by no means am I saying that I can do it on my own" he said and I nodded.
"I'll do my best."
"Good. Now, the rest of them know the plan. You don't. The basic plan, cover who's in danger. I keep my eye on Maggie, Ruth keeps her eye on Carter. I want you to cover Maggie with me. Can you do that?" He asked and I nodded.
"I can"
"Good. I want no casualties"
"Me too"

I could tell that the whole family was on edge as we sat outside the dark building in the car.
"We all know the plan. Mike and his men are ruthless and dangerous. We take no unnecessary risks. Do we all understand?" Eli said and everyone nodded.
"Have we all got weapons?"
Another nod.
"Carter have you got all your papers and you know what you need to say?" Ruth asked.
"Yes"
"Let's go" Eli said.
I was more nervous than I had ever been in my whole existence.
I walked just behind Maggie, next to Eli, and kept my eyes open, scouring the scene.

As my eyes landed on several broad men, one more broad than the rest, my heart screamed at me to stop walking and just go home.
Go back to school.
Go to my mum and dad.
I hadn't known the Kings long and already I might die tonight because of knowing them.
"Stay calm" Eli whispered and I nodded.
"Well well. We've got an addition to the family have we?" The broad man said.
"None of your business Mike. Your issue is with me and Ruth. Not the children"
"Then why is your boy arguing for you?" Mike grinned.
"Mike, mate, this has to end. We're never giving you The Emerald. Move on" Carter said and I looked at Maggie to see her stood like her father, eyes forward, hands behind her back, broad stance, cold expression.
"That's not what I want to hear Carter. You're a coward Eli for making your boy argue your case" Mike laughed. "Let's just get this over with" he grinned and all four of his men pulled out guns.
"Seriously?" Ruth scoffed.
"I want you all dead. There's no doubt. If you're all dead, I get the club" Mike said and raised his gun at Ruth's head.
In a split second Maggie and Eli has fired a shot each.
One hit Mikes gun, one pierced his hand.
"You bastards!" He yelled and the other men started firing.

"Fuck" I said before following Maggie and Eli down a corridor.
I could only just hear the firing guns over the sound of blood pulsing in my ears.
I pushed my body to keep up with them.
I groaned and grunted as I tried to keep up with them.
I heard gunshots and running behind me and pushed myself further.
There were endless corridors and we seemingly did a full circle, ending back where we began.
I watched as Maggie jumped in to help Carter, fighting away one of the broad men.
I felt useless.
I was just stood waiting.
"Taron!" I heard Maggie yell.

I looked behind me to see one of the men holding a knife up to me.
"You're no fighter" he laughed and swung for me.
I ducked and kicked the mans knees, just as Maggie had told me.
But still I forgot the one thing I should never do.
I looked over at Maggie as she shot one of the men in the head with an oddly shaped bullet.
I had been distracted.
The man took advantage and jumped on top of me, pinning down my arms and legs.
He took a punch at my face.
The spot on my lip and cheek burned from the hit.
"Oh I haven't done this in ages" the man grinned holding a knife to my neck.
He pressed it in slightly, and I could feel blood start to roll down my neck.

Margaret King
I stormed my way over to where a brute had Taron pinned to the floor.
"Asshole" I said before kicking his head. Hard.
"You think you can really hurt me girly?" He laughed and I grinned.
"I do actually" I said and shot his head with one of our stun guns. The cylinder shaped bullet hit his head and he immediately fell unconscious.
"Don't call me girly" I spat and turned back to Taron. "What happened?"
"I got distracted"
"Duck," I said and he crouched down.
I shot my stun gun again, hitting another man in the head.
"Thanks"

Taron ran off to help Carter and I stayed back observing the area.
Two strong arms grabbed me and I screamed out.
"Officers! So glad you could join us!" Mike said and I knew it was a policeman holding me back.
Mike held up a gun to the back of Taron's head, him oblivious.  His eyes were fixed on me.
My breathing quickened.
My heart pounded.
I could feel the sweat gather on my forehead.
There were only two officers. One holding me, one stood just to the side.
Then, the worst sound I could possibly hear, a single gunshot.
My eyes widened, "Taron!" I screamed as the shot was fired.
But it never landed in Taron's body.
As I was being dragged away by the strong arms, I watched in horror as my father pushed Taron to the ground.
The bullet came to land in the middle of my father's chest, sacrificing himself, for Taron.