29.

Margaret King
"We found her in here this morning"
"Well why was she allowed in here?"
"We didn't see her sneak in"
"That's because she's a criminal!"

I managed to force my eyes to open.
As I wiped my eyes I saw a doctor and Ophelia stood before me.
I realised I had fallen asleep holding onto Taron's hand in his hospital room.
"Fuck" I groaned.
"Yeah fuck. What are you doing here?!" Ophelia shouted.
"Don't come shouting at me. I think we have to remember who actually saved him!" I yelled back.
"You got him into this mess in the first place!"
"No. You did! If you had never tried to come against me with that law suit, Mike would have never known who he was!" I explained and she opened her mouth to say more, but closed it quickly.
"That is true Mrs Mills. If Miss King hadn't been so aware and hadn't told you to call us when she did, he wouldn't be here" the doctor said.
"If he had never spoken to you then we wouldn't be in this position" she sighed.
"You can't blame that on me." I said trying to push the rage out of me.
"I wish I could" she sighed. "I'd still like you to leave. Now"
"Fine" I groaned, reluctant to leave.

I stood up slowly and kissed Taron's hand before letting it slide out of my own hand.
I sighed before squeezing past Ophelia, the doctor, and Jack, who had just entered the room breathlessly.
"Maggie?" I heard from behind me, as I was just about to leave the threshold of the room.
I turned slowly and saw Taron's eyes slowly open one at a time.
"Oh thank god!" Ophelia sighed before rushing to his side.
"Hello Mr Mills, how are you feeling?" The doctor asked, writing down his vitals off of the screen.
"Like hell" he groaned. "Did I hear Maggie?" He asked and I turned back round on my heels to face him.
"Hi" I said softly.
"Maggie!" He said quickly, trying to sit up on the bed.
"No! No stay down" I said as the doctor quickly pushed his shoulders back down.
"You came?" Taron coughed, evidently cringing at the pain.
"Didn't have a choice" I said holding up my broken hand.
"What did you do?" He asked softly.
"Taron, I was the one that found you. Mike, he-he sent me a photo of you. He was following you. I went to your house to ask where you were and he sent a photo of you dying" I said, tears now freely falling, making my explanation twice as hard, "I found you in the park. You're mum rang the emergency services. We were almost too late" I cried, wiping my nose.

He didn't say anything to begin with.
He stared blankly at the wall in front of him.
After a few minutes of silence in the room the tension rose.
"I'm sorry, I should go" I whispered before quickly exiting the room.
I let the tears fall as I went quickly back to my own room.
"We've been looking for you, what happened?" Carter asked as I came into the room.
"I suppose dad told you about Taron?" I sniffed and he nodded. "He's awake. He's just, broken" I cried and Carter quickly took me into his arms protectively.
"It's not your fault Maggie. Don't you blame yourself" he whispered into my hair.
"If he had never met me he wouldn't be in this situation. He wouldn't have had to fight for his life. He would probably be in his room reading" I sniffed.
"But he did meet you. Nothing you can do will reverse the fact that you did meet each other" Carter said and I nodded.
He was right.
And I was so thankful that I had met Taron. He had done so much for me without even realising that he had.
Everything in me wanted to be with him. It was whether he really wanted to be with me.
" I really like him Carter. No matter what you or Dad think. I really do like him" I sniffled, wiping my eyes with my thumbs.

"God you really fucked up your hand" Carter laughed.
"Well I didn't think it would be this bad. I drove with it" I shrugged.
"You're a lunatic" he sniggered and I rolled my eyes.
"I've never been told I'm a lunatic before" I smiled and he wrapped an arm around my shoulders.
"Well now you have. Come on let's get you back to the university" Carter sighed.
"Am I not going home?"
"Mum and Dad thought it best to just take you back to school while they deal with finding Mike" he explained.
"What? I want to help!" I exclaimed wriggling out of his grasp.
"You need to get back into school Maggie. Let us deal with it for now" he sighed and I groaned.
"You promise me you won't get him without me right?" I asked and Carter avoided meeting my eye. "Carter"
"Yes ok whatever" he said, the roll of his eyes blindingly obvious.

The fact that Carter didn't use the word promise in his response made me doubtful of him and my parents.
Then and there, I made a mental note to myself to log into the family files and planning documents. They couldn't remove me from the files, therefore I could see everything that they're planning.

Ophelia didn't let me in to say goodbye to Taron, despite both of our protests. I hated the woman more and more each time I saw her and every time she opened her mouth.
Reluctantly, I left the hospital. The air was cold on my arms as I couldn't manage to squeeze my cast through the sleeve of my beloved leather jacket.

"So you're basically half robot now, or half Wolverine" Carter smiled as we jumped in the car.
"Yes, thank you Carter that makes me feel so much better" I sighed, staring blankly out of the window, finding no interest in any of the buildings, cars or trees we passed on the way back to the university.

As I stepped back into my room it felt foreign. I hadn't been in it in so long it no longer felt like my room. And after sitting on my bed, thinking of what I could do to keep myself occupied I couldn't bear it any longer.
I left my room, everything apart from the bed untouched.
I walked round until I found myself stood outside Taron's room. I let myself in, by picking the lock, grabbed one of his hoodies from his wardrobe, and snuggled into his pillow.
Being able to smell him kept me calmer. A single tear fell down my cheek as I wished he was here with me.
I wished none of it had ever happened.
But it did.
And I can't take that back.