9.

Margaret King
'Me and Emily are going to hang out. Want to join?'

It was that one text that got my mind fluttering all about my head.
It got me wondering.
It got my heart racing around my chest like a wannabe race car.
Why were they going to hang out in the first place?
Was there something going on between them?
Had Emily broken up with her boyfriend?
Did Emily want me there or did she just want Taron?

While all the questions ran through my mind, I cursed myself for caring so much.
I tried to convince myself that I really didn't care about them hanging out and that I should just let them.
But my own selfish nagging in my head, wanted me to tag along just to keep them apart.
Just as I was pacing around my room, pondering over whether to go or not, my phone rang.
"Carter thank god" I breathed.
"Yeah yeah whatever. Maggie we have a thing" Carter said and my heart sunk.
"Now?" I asked.
"Yes now. I'm coming to get you" he said bluntly before hanging up.
"Fuck fuck fuck" I said trying to gather all my things.
I wasn't prepared.
I shoved all my weapons in their relevant places, and shoved on my leather jacket.
I was about to walk out of my room when dad text.
'Glasses. Maggie these are big guys you're going to deal with, very dangerous. Don't take unnecessary risks'

I decided not to text back.
I grabbed the recording glasses and shoved them in my pocket.
I walked quickly out of my room.
I didn't feel prepared.
I hadn't been in a fight for a week now.
But I just shook away the nerves and hoped that all the movements would come back to me like natural.
"Maggie!" I heard and I stopped in my tracks.
"Yep!" I shouted back.
I turned and saw Emily and Taron sat under a tree. They were sat shoulder to shoulder and had food out in front of them.
"Join us!" Taron yelled and I walked over quickly.
"Hi" Emily sighed and I nodded.
"Where's your boyfriend?" I asked.
"I broke up with him. He wasn't good for me" she smiled.
"Anyone could have told you that" I said rolling my eyes.
"Come sit with us" Taron said, and I noticed he didn't have his glasses on.
"No. No I can't" I sighed and brushed my hair back.
"Why?" He asked, a frown appearing on his face.
"I have to go do something" I said and they shared a look. "Don't start assuming" I unintentionally spat.
Even though they were assuming correctly, it would have been nice for him to just assume I was doing something good.
"No Maggie I-" Taron started before he was interrupted.
"Oi!" I heard and looked over to see Carter in his suit, standing next to our parents sports car.
"Save it." I sighed before running away to Carter.

"Put the glasses on" he said as we stopped outside a rundown building.
"This place is gross" I said looking out of the window.
"It's where they said they would meet us"
"I don't like this Carter"
"I know. Me neither. But we just do as we've always done. And if it turns overly ugly then we run ok?" He said and I nodded. "Let's go"

As we walked into what was left of the building I had to steady my breathing and focus.
I felt calmer as I saw the men.
They didn't look too bad.
The men down the alley were worse.
"Gentlemen!" Carter shouted, clutching onto his briefcase.
"King!"
The middle man smiled.
Carter joined him in smiling and I just dropped behind Carter so I had a clear view of all four men.
They shook hands and laughed as the man clapped Carter on the back.
"My my Carter how you've grown up" he sighed.
"Not just a novice now Mike" he said and Mike grinned over at me.
"Margaret. You were just a tiny tot when I last saw you" he grinned.
"Hm" I said and he turned back to Carter.

"The deal?" Mike said sternly after a lull of silence.
"Here's the thing Mike, my parents don't like the deal" Carter sighed purposely.
"They what?" Mike growled and I knew this was where I might be needed.
"They don't like the deal." Carter repeated.
"But there's everything in that deal. They can't possibly want more?" Mike asked and Carter shook his head.
"You're wanting to take away their most prized possession. Did you really think they were going to respond well to this?" Carter said.
I hated not knowing why we were here. It made me more nervous.
"I'm giving them my branch in America!" Mike yelled.
"They don't want your branch Mike. It's known for lacking productivity. And my parents don't like unproductive people" Carter said, a small growl lacing his words.
"I will have The Emerald. Whether that be through peace and negotiations, or violence and death." Mike said and his three men stood around him.

"Holy shit" I laughed, causing all the men to look at me. "Brian!" I laughed and pointed to one of the three minions.
"How the fuck do you know him?" Carter said to me and I couldn't stop laughing.
"How do you know my men?" Mike growled and Brian looked down to the floor.
"How's the wound Brian? Any better?" I giggled. "Ohh you don't know. Ok. So Brian and several others were ganging up on my friend in an alleyway. Not very nice. So I jumped in. Your little minion here got shot, and stabbed. By me" I said slowly, enjoying watching their faces turn from confusion to shock.
"Brian! Is that true? You let a girl beat you?!" Mike shouted and Brian quickly nodded at Mike's words.
Mike punched Brian hard causing the broad man to crumple to the floor.
"Enough of this! I'm not a patient man Carter. And I will have The Emerald" Mike growled pulling out a gun.
"Maggie" Carter whispered and I nodded showing that I was ready.

I took a deep breath as Mike took of the safety of the gun.
My heart raced.
I had to get this shot perfect.
If I didn't, then it was either me or Carter getting shot.
I took a deep breath and pulled my gun from my underwear, discreetly so no one saw.
"Mike!" I yelled getting his attention before shooting a bullet through his hand.
"Run!" I shouted to Carter and he did.
I stayed there and threw my knives at the men, hitting them in any place I could that wouldn't kill them.
"Margaret!" I heard Carter yell and I grinned as all four men dropped to their knees, groaning in pain.
"Margaret!!" Carter gelled again and I took off.
I caught up with him and we ran out of the building and back into the car.

"Fuck!" Carter said as we noticed our parents were now in the car.
"No swearing!" Mum said sternly.
"How did you get here so quickly?" I said, breathing heavily.
"We knew where you were going. We followed you. Mike's dangerous and we wanted to be there just in case." Dad said and we both nodded.
"Maggie. I'm so proud of you." Mum said and dad high fived me.
"For what?"
"Well from watching the feed from your glasses, I was certain you were going to kill them. I'm proud you didn't. And that shot to the hand was very clever" She smiled and I nodded. "And Carter. Well done for staying calm. You both did everything right. Now, let's get Maggie back to school"

I groaned as we pulled up to the university.
I waved Carter and Dad goodbye. Mum stepped out of the car with me.
"Maggie!" I heard that all familiar voice shout.
I turned and saw Taron and Emily walking across the grass.
I waved as I blushed, and turned back to Mum.
"The Mills boy?" Mum said and I raised an eyebrow.
"What?"
"You fancy him" Mum sighed.
"No"
"I can tell you do. I'm not going to tell you off or tell you to stay away. I'm just going to warn you. His parents are out for our necks. Just be careful"
"Taron isn't. We get along. He's really nice" I smiled.
"Then go for him" she whispered.
"You think?"
"If you fancy him my dear then try it out. If it doesn't work then we'll have to kill him" she grinned.
"Mum" I whined.
"I'm joking. I'd say go for it. But I would suggest more black on him. Blacks a very flattering colour" she winked before slipping back in the car.

Go for him, thats what she had said.
Maybe I will.