Chapter 32: Same Difference

"Alright!" Josh yelled. "Everyone in the van! Anniversary is a go, people. Children, vacate the premises."

"Bye, Daddy," Amy grinned, throwing her bag over her shoulder.

"I love you, jelly bean," Josh sighed, hugging her close.

"I love you too. Have fun. Don't keep her out too late," Amy giggled, gesturing to her mother.

Josh nodded and shut the door behind Jack and the kids as a strange high pitched ringing filled his ears.

"Hon, are you okay?" Mari chuckled.

Josh didn't answer. Instead, he stumbled forward weakly.

"Josh?!" Mari said frantically.

"M-M-Mari?" Josh said hoarsely as he fell to the ground.

"Oh my god," Mari whimpered.

Josh sat up and grinned at her, laughing until his sides ached. "Gotcha, didn't I?"

"God, I hate you," Mari groaned.

"Let me just finish up that roof patch on the shed and then I'll be back, alright?" Josh smiled, pecking her cheek.

"Come on. Let me just spend some time with you," Mari begged. "Forget the shed."

"Five minutes," Josh said firmly. He kissed her passionately and then gently pulled away. "I will be right back, I swear."

"You play a cruel game, Isaac Taylor," Mari chuckled. "Hurry."

Josh went outside and climbed up to the top of the ladder. He had reached the highest rung when he felt his feet come out from underneath him.

Then the darkness came.

—————

"Goodness, Josh is taking a long time," Mari thought. She decided to go out and check on him. "Josh, I- oh my god! What happened?!"

Josh lay unconscious on the ground.

"Oh my god," Mari gasped, trying frantically to shake him awake.

—————

Josh opened his eyes and gasped for air.

Mari's hands pushed him gently back down. "Don't try to move," she cried softly. "It's okay, Baby. It's all okay."

"What happened?" Josh coughed, his voice barely above a whisper.

"You're sick, Hon," Mari said with as much of a smile that could be managed.

"What?"

"It's..it's a condition...with your nervous system. I need you to stay calm, alright? No panicking."

Josh nodded weakly.

Mari covered her mouth and ran from the room.

Jack entered with a clipboard.

"Ugh. Not you," Josh muttered angrily.

Jack chuckled. "Chin up, soldier."

Josh went to sit up and Jack pushed him back down. "She was supposed to lie to you," he sighed. "But she lost her nerve."

"What, lie to me like you did?" Josh spat.

"Josh, just stay calm," Jack sighed.

"Why won't you let me sit up?" Josh frowned. "Why is my wife crying? Where are my kids?!"

"Josh, you fell off your ladder. You broke your legs and have a concussion."

"What?!" Josh almost yelled.