Chapter 24: Cancer?

"So, will you tell Matt?"

"I don't know, Carlos," Catherine sighed. "I don't want to freak him out."

"Whatever you decide," Carlos sighed. "I'm sure it'll be for the best. I better scoot. Don't want him catching me here. You know how he gets."

"Yeah," Catherine nodded. "I'm just scared. Cancer? That's a big deal. I...I don't want him to get upset."

"I know," Carlos frowned. "Call me soon, okay?"

"Okay," Catherine nodded, worry etched into her features. "If I don't-"

"Don't finish that sentence," Carlos begged, pain in his eyes.

"See you later."

—————

"When does Daddy get back?" Amelia pouted.

"In a few days," Mari sighed. Her phone began to ring and she answered it. "Hey, Cath."

"Hey. Can we talk?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Brace yourself," Catherine sighed. "I might have cancer. I'm...I'm freaking out."

Mari stared at the floor, her hand wrapped tightly around Amy's. "What?"

"Mommy, you're hurting me," Amy whimpered, trying to pull her hand away.

"I had an appointment today...it's a possibility," Catherine said quietly. "It's not for sure yet, but...Mari, my mother had it. I'm really, really scared. I have kids and- and Matt, and I can't...I don't want to die."

"Mommy," Amy sighed, poking Mari's arm vigorously, "Mommy, let go."

"Woah, woah, slow down. Amy, stop it. Go play," Mari stammered, letting go of her daughter's hand. "Catherine, is this a maybe or a for sure?!"

"It's just a maybe, but it's leaning towards yes since my mother died of cancer. Just...do me a favor and don't tell anyone, ay?"

"Cath-" Mari stammered.

"I know," she sighed, closing her eyes tightly in pain. "I have to go. Matt will be home soon and I don't want him to catch me crying."

"Okay," Mari nodded, silent tears running down her cheek. "I love you, Cath."

"I love you, Mari. I'll see you soon."

"Yeah...See you soon."

Catherine hung up and buried her face in her hands.

—————

Matt came through the front door with a grin. "Hey, Babe. Where are the kids?"

"In Lotte's room," Catherine replied, quickly drying her cheeks.

"What's wrong?" Matt asked with a furrowed brow.

"Nothing," Catherine laughed nervously. "It's nothing."

"Cath?"

"Hm?"

"Talk."

"I don't want you to worry. You'll freak out and get upset, and...and we don't even know for sure yet so there's no point in worrying-"

"Cath, I'm gonna freak out and assume the worst, unless you set me at ease."

Catherine sighed and pulled a bottle of water out of the fridge. "Listen, Hon, um...I had an appointment today, and...Jack thinks that I might have cancer. I wish I had better news, but...Babe, are you okay?"