Chapter 16: Four Months Later

"Matt," Josh said, balancing his phone against his cheek with his shoulder, "come on, man. Pick up I need you."

"Hey, Josh," Matt yawned. "It's six in the morning. What's up?"

"Mari, stay put!" Josh yelled, jumping up and throwing his shoes on. "Go to your dad's house. Don't tell anyone where you are, okay?!"

"Josh, what's going on?" Matt asked worriedly.

"Isaiah called me an hour ago," Josh said, throwing on his coat.

"B-but he's in prison," Matt stammered.

"They didn't- Mari, just promise me you'll do as I say, alright?"

Mari nodded.

"Where are you guys?" Matt asked hurriedly.

"Still at home," Josh sighed. "Get to Jacob's house. Now."

"On it," Matt sighed. "How's Mari doing? Catherine's asking."

"Fine. She's going to meet up with you guys at Jacob's."

"And you? Will you be meeting up with us?"

"Mari is on her way. I'll see you later," Josh said, hanging up quickly.

"Josh?" Matt groaned.

"What's wrong?" Catherine sighed as she held her sleeping daughter.

"Isaiah's back," Matt said softly. "Get Logan."

"Okay," Catherine nodded. "Where are we going?"

"Jacob's," Matt mumbled.

Cath immediately bundled the twins and the family headed out the door.

—————

"Cath, thank god," Mari sighed, getting out of the car and embracing her friend. "I was so worried."

"Me too," Cath frowned. "I can't believe Isaiah is after us again. Jacob's dead. What does he want with us?"

"Me," Mari sighed, "and Matt. Revenge for what he's lost."

"Great," Catherine sighed. "Just what I need."

—————

Josh snuck slowly into the large house. Finally, Isaiah had decided to end this.

Josh knew he was fortunate. Fortunate to have gotten away with his life. He knew he wasn't the same man he had been two years ago. Mari had changed him, life had changed him. He could only pray it was for the better.

"So," Josh said, clicking an arrow into place and sitting down in a lavish armchair., "today, we end this. I commend your choice of dates."

Isaiah chuckled darkly, not even phased. "And why's that?"

"You think that Mel's death would make me weak?" Josh scoffed. "This day is when I fight my hardest. For her and for every other innocent person you've hurt."

Isaiah scoffed. "Face it, Taylor. You talk a big game, but we both know that you're just a scared little boy."

"I used to be," Josh shrugged. "I also used to be a man that believed justice was achieved on its own accord." He armed himself and pulled the bowstring back to his chin. "Now I know I have to fight for it myself."

"You want to kill me? Fine. I've got nothing left to live for," Isaiah shrugged. "You wouldn't be accomplishing anything."

"I'd be saving people. That's enough," Josh said sternly. "Any last words?"