Chapter 7: We'll Get Through It Together

"Hey, Hon," Cath smiled. "How are you feeling? Do you think you'll be able to go to the appointment today?"

"Yes!" Matt grinned.

"Good," Catherine smiled, giving her husband a tender kiss. "I'm glad you're almost completely healed."

"Yeah...You know, I still don't think I've comprehended yet-" Matt laughed.

"Comprehended what?"

"The fact that we're going to have two living, breathing humans here."

"I know," Catherine grinned. "I'm excited."

"It's just a lot to take in," Matt sighed. "I still don't understand how we ended up with twins. I mean, how does that even happen?"

"Twins run in my family, remember? My grandmother was a twin and so was her mother. My father wasn't, but he then passed that onto me, and here we are," Catherine smiled, wrapping her arms around her husband's waist. "Is there something on your mind?"

"It's stupid," Matt laughed softly, shaking his head.

"Nothing you say is ever stupid," Cath said softly. "Tell me."

"I-I feel like I've failed you...as a husband," Matt said sheepishly.

Catherine put a hand to his cheek. "Baby, you are by no means a failure. Why would you think that?"

"Because I haven't been able to be there for you these past few weeks. I haven't been able to do much of anything with you and...and I feel bad. I'm sorry, Cath."

"Hey," she said comfortingly, "you had to take time to heal. You had surgery, Matt. That's a serious thing. Resting and taking it easy is part of the process. It's not your fault."

"But you're pregnant," Matt sighed. "I should be taking care of you, not the other way around."

"Well, sometimes you have to let someone take care of you for a change," Catherine reasoned, holding him as close as her stomach would allow. "Baby, you are not a failure. I don't want you to think for even a second that you are."

Matt kissed his wife's forehead. "Thank you for taking care of me."

"You're welcome. Thank you for taking care of me," Cath smiled. "Are you ready to go to the appointment?"

Matt nodded. "Let's go."

The couple got in the car, and Matt drove to the hospital.

After Catherine had a couple tests done, she and Matt were taken to have the ultrasound done.

"Alright," the technician smiled. "Are you guys ready to find out what you're having?"

Catherine grasped Matt's hand and nodded.

"Okay," the technician nodded, turning on the equipment and beginning the ultrasound. "It's looks like...Baby A is a girl...and Baby B is a boy."

Matt gave a large sigh of relief.

"Charlotte and Logan," Catherine smiled.

"Charlotte and Logan," Matt repeated with a shaky sigh.

"Nervous, Hon?"

"No," Matt said slowly. "What makes you think that?"

"The look on your face," Catherine chuckled. "And the fact that I know you all too well."

"A bit, perhaps," Matt chuckled, squeezing her hand.

"Naming them makes it more real, doesn't it?"