Chapter 10: Four Months Later

"Hey, Hon, have you seen my socks?" Matt called from the kitchen.

"In here," Catherine sighed from the bedroom.

"The black ones," Matt yawned, rubbing his eyes, "with the gold ribbing."

"Here," Catherine said through gritted teeth, holding a hand to her stomach as she brought him a pair of socks.

"Thanks, Babe," Matt grinned, pecking her cheek. "I got that big important meeting with Josh today. We're proposing a rental plan to the advisory board. Gosh, I wish it would stop raining. It's gross outside."

Catherine nodded. "God, I wish these contractions would stop."

"And then!" Matt said, bouncing around the room and stuffing things into his bag. "We're talking about building a new concert hall! The Steele Hall. Once you're back in action -if it works out- it'll be gorgeous!"

"Ignoring the problem, just like always," Catherine muttered under her breath. "Have fun, Babe."

"I love you," Matt sighed, giving her kiss. He dropped to his knees and grinned at her stomach. "Love ya too, rascals. Back by five, I promise."

"Alright," Catherine smiled. "Love you too. Remember that we have dinner with Emily, Ash, and Scarlett at six. Maddie's coming too."

"Perfect. See you later."

Mari came in just as Matt headed out. "Hey, I bought you groceries while I was out. You like green grapes, right? I forgot Isaac only eats the purple ones, and now I've got two bunches no one will eat."

"I'll eat anything at this point," Catherine shrugged. "God, I just want these things out."

"I don't think you'll have much longer to wait. Yesterday was your due date, right?"

"Yeah," Catherine sighed. "Ash and Scarlett are coming over and we're going to look up a bunch of ways to induce labor and try them. That should be fun. I'm not sure how that works, though, since I'm already having contractions."

"Yeah," Mari said weakly with a shudder, "lots of fun. I'm just grabbing dinner by myself tonight. Josh is working late. He has been these past few weeks."

"You should join us."

"Thanks, but you know how I am with that stuff," Mari laughed. "Besides, I should start practicing the new script."

"I meant for dinner," Catherine chuckled.

"I don't want to impose," Mari smiled softly.

"You're my best friend. You wouldn't be imposing," Catherine laughed. "Well, best friend aside from Matt, but you get the idea...Love you."

"Love you too," Mari chuckled. "You nervous?"

"About having two human beings come out of me or about becoming a mother?" Catherine chuckled.

"Gosh, Cath, are trying to make me pass out?" Mari gagged. "No! About going back to work. For goodness' sake, did you have to phrase it like that?!"

"Yes," Catherine laughed. "Hey, I didn't come up with the process. If it were my decision, I'd let Matt be the one to give birth. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way."

"Let's not argue," Mari sighed, her face pale. "You won't be mad if I wait until you're home to visit, will you?"

"Not at all," Cath smiled.

"Thanks," Mari nodded. "Can I see the baby room before I head out?"

"Of course," Cath grinned.