Chapter 14: Don't You Dare

Mari placed on the biggest sweatshirt she could find. "Would you quit that?"

"Quit what?" Josh laughed.

"Quit staring at me!"

"Well honestly, Darling, I'm worried."

"About what?"

"If you still have a shape or if you've turned into the blueberry from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. You've been wearing stuff that's eight sizes too big for weeks."

"Shut up," Mari snapped. "This thing is your fault. I'm in the middle of a crisis. I don't appreciate jokes."

"Mariah Taylor," Josh chuckled, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow, "let me see or I'll cook fish every night for the next three weeks."

"You wouldn't dare."

"I would," Josh grinned. "Fish with ketchup and Brussel sprouts."

"Don't make me throw up," Mari gagged, taking off the sweatshirt.

Josh stared in shock. "Wow. That's not six weeks, is it?"

"No, idiot, it's not."

"Well you won't tell me anything. How am I supposed to know?" Josh laughed.

"Jack said I'm about fourteen weeks," Mari sighed.

"Fourteen?" Josh gaped. "That many? Mari, how come you didn't tell me sooner?"

"I was in denial," Mari said sheepishly. "I kinda figured if I waited then...I don't know. It'd evaporate or something."

Josh tried his best to remain composed as a smile crept across his face.

Don't laugh. Don't laugh.

"Evaporate?" He said a seriously as could be managed. "Like the water cycle?"

"Oh, there was a cycle involved, alright."

Josh leaned against the wall. "You're gorgeous. You know that?"

Mari scoffed. "Funny."

"I don't deserve you. I never did," Josh sighed.

"Don't say that," Mari sighed, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Ha!" Josh grinned triumphantly, jumping away and pointing a finger. "I felt it! I can feel it! There's a bump! You lose!"

"I hate you," Mari muttered.

"No, you don't!" Josh's sing-song voice chimed. "I'm burning the hoodies, Mari. I've gone power crazed. It's half my kid. I deserve to see it, at least."

"Don't you dare," Mari frowned.

Josh marched over to the drawer and thrust it open. "Lighter's out front."

Mari grabbed his wrist. "No, please! I won't wear them at home, I promise!"

"Fine," Josh chuckled. "You're calling work in the morning."

"Why?"

"For maternity leave," Josh said as if it were perfectly obvious.

"Not yet. You can barely even tell I'm pregnant," Mari argued.

"It doesn't matter. Mari, you're not supposed to stand that long. You can't do entire two hour shows in a corset!"

"Watch me," Mari scoffed. "Catherine managed to do it in her fourth month and she had two."

"You're not Catherine!" Josh exclaimed. "And I'm not Matt. Mari, I don't want you exhausting yourself. We have to have some sort of balance here."