Chapter 17: Seven Months Later

Josh stood at the small grave, his face sullen and exhausted. When had he last slept? A week ago? Two weeks? He couldn't remember exactly. He knew Mari couldn't bear to be there. Not after everything. "Hey," he said softly, "I know this is weird, but uh...I brought you some flowers. Just to say thanks."

—————

"Hey, Babe," Catherine smiled. "How was physical therapy?"

"I can't feel my elbow," Matt chuckled, kissing her cheek.

"You'll never guess what Logan did," Cath grinned.

"What?"

"He said 'mama'," Catherine gloated. "I knew he liked me better."

Matt pretended to look hurt.

"I'm only kidding," Catherine chuckled, giving her husband a gentle kiss. "It's no secret that Lotte loves you, so I'm sure she'll say 'dada' as her first word."

"Maybe," Matt shrugged. "Where are the little rascals, anyway?"

"Taking naps, but you can wake them up if you want."

"Alright," Matt grinned. "By the way, have you heard from Mari or Josh lately?"

Catherine shook her head. "They've been kinda distant since the whole thing with their daughter."

"It's understandable," Matt nodded.

—————

"Hey," Josh whispered from the doorway, "am I allowed to sleep in here tonight?"

Mari nodded and pulled the covers further over her shoulders.

Josh climbed into the bed and lay across from her, his eyes fixed on her closed ones.

Mari slowly opened her own and gave a heartbroken sigh. "Isaac?"

"Yes?"

"I need to know...if you still love me or not."

"Mari," Josh sighed, "of course I still love you. I'll always love you. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. How could I not love you?"

"The best thing?" Mari questioned skeptically. "Even better than our daughter?"

"Well, you were the one to give me that daughter," Josh smiled, pulling his wife in close and kissing her tenderly.

A little cry could be heard from the other room.

"I'll get her," Mari nodded, getting out of bed.

—————

"No!" Logan screamed. "No, no, no, no, no!"

Lotte crossed her arms and pouted.

Catherine entered the room. "What's going on, you two?"

"No!" Logan screamed at the top of his lungs.

"Shh. Hey, what's wrong?" Catherine asked softly. "What's going on, Sweetheart?"

"Lotte wants the blue socks and Logan's already wearing them," Matt explained with a huff.

"Oh boy," Catherine chuckled. "Just take Lotte in the living room and have her play with her toys. She'll forget in about five minutes."

"Alright," Matt sighed, lifting his daughter out of the crib.

Once they were out of the room, Catherine picked up Logan. "Hey, Sweetheart."

Logan kissed his mother's cheek. "Mama."

Cath chuckled. "I love you, kid."

"Love you," Logan smiled, wrapping his arms around her neck.