Chapter 11: You Feel Okay?

"It's a bummer that Emily, Ash, and Scarlett had to leave," Catherine sighed, putting a headband on Lotte.

Matt nodded. "Emily was a big help while they were here."

"She certainly was," Catherine agreed. She reached over and picked up her ringing phone. "Hey Mari. What's up?"

"Nothing much. I'm trying to get Josh to stop having people sign his cast. I was wondering if you remembered where I put Violet's school bag."

"I thought it was in the kitchen."

"So did I, but I think Josh moved it. Ever since he fell out of that tree, he's been a nut case."

"I still don't understand why he was up there in the first place," Catherine sighed.

"He was getting my kite," Mari chuckled. "He's such a hopeless idiot sometimes, but it's pretty romantic, I guess, in it's own way."

"You two are both a couple of idiots," Catherine laughed, bouncing the child on her lap. "You deserve each other."

"He deserves better," Mari sighed, flipping through a magazine. "He's so different when it's just us, Cath. You wouldn't ever know how much goes on in his head. How are the twins?"

"They're doing pretty well. They have their one month check up today, so I'm freaking out for no reason whatsoever," Catherine chuckled. "Thankfully, Jack knows what he's doing, so that gives me some small shred of comfort."

"They'll be fine, I'm sure," Mari laughed. "They're practically perfect in every way"

"Thank you, Mary Poppins," Catherine laughed.

"How's Vi holding up?"

"I'm not sure. I was planning to ask Jack at the appointment."

"Let him know she can visit whenever she wants. We're always happy to have her. And if she wants to come back home-"

"I will," Catherine nodded. "I'll call you later, alright?"

Mari nodded. "Alright. Tell the twins I love them."

"I will. Thank you," Catherine smiled.

Mari hung up the phone. "Hey," she said awkwardly as Josh came in. "Where you been?"

"Out," he sighed. "Are you feeling better than you were this morning?"

"A lot better. Stupid allergies," Mari laughed.

Josh nodded and threw his stuff on the counter.

"You know what?" Mari laughed, flopping backward on the couch. "You scare the life out of me, you know that?"

"Why?" Josh laughed.

"How long have we been married, Josh?"

"Nine months," Josh grinned. "Nine blissful, amazing, wonderful months."

"Exactly. Nine months and when you walk in the room, I feel like I'm gonna pass out. That's not normal. I should be used to you by now."

Josh got up and wrapped his uninjured arm around his wife. "That just means that the magic isn't gone."

"Somedays, it feels like it's not real," Mari sighed with a shiver. "Like I'm going to wake up and you're going to be gone."

Josh's frowned deeply. "You had that dream again."

Mari nodded, clutching his shirt in her hands. "I didn't want to worry you."

"I'm not going to leave you," Josh sighed, tightening his hold on her. "Ever."