Chapter 4: Always Be Here

Mari looked at Josh earnestly. She liked watching him. He looked so intent when he was driving, so completely absorbed in the one task of getting to his destination. "Tell me again," she smiled softly as she tugged at her sleeve.

"Again? Mari, that's the fourth time today," Josh laughed.

"Go on," she said, closing her eyes. "Where were you?"

"I was right here in this chair. I had forgotten the cups at the store-"

"Yes, I know that bit," Mari laughed, rolling her eyes. "When did you know?"

"From the minute we fought," Josh smiled.

Mari looked out the window and gave a sigh.

Josh looked at her worriedly. "Please don't leave," he almost cried in his mind.

"I'm happy, Isaac Taylor," Mari sighed, curling up and leaning her head against the window sill. "So ridiculously happy."

"I love you, Mari," Josh smiled.

Mari's heart raced. He didn't say it often yet. Only when he meant it. "I love you, Josh." She gave a small moan. "Please don't let Cath kill me."

"She's pregnant. I don't think she'd get very far," Josh chuckled.

Mari shuddered. "I hope everything is fine. I'm honestly terrified for her."

"She'll be alright," Josh smiled. "She's a fighter, if nothing else."

Mari tried to ignore the goosebumps on her arms. It gave her the creeps. "You're right," she sighed. "Which is why...I'm either in for a lot of love or a lot of hate today."

"She won't be mad. Well, she might be slightly, but she'll get over it quick."

"I hope," Mari whimpered.

—————

"I'm glad I opted to get the ring with the real diamond," Catherine nodded. "It looks so much better than the fifteen dollar version."

"That was our children's college fund," Matt muttered. "I hate car trips."

"It was only like four hundred dollars," Catherine shrugged. "College is a lot more than that, Babe."

"Still," Matt grumbled, "you're too nice a friend."

"Mari happens to be my only friend. That reminds me, I'll have to find someone to run the coffee shop when I'm out on maternity leave. I still can't believe that Alex handed the business over to me and moved to Scotland," Catherine sighed.

"Twins?" Matt asked again with a frown as he turned the car into the parking lot and pulled into a space. "Two?"

"Yep," Catherine grinned, getting out of the car.

Mari rushed over in a mess of tears, he face red and blotchy. "I need you," she laughed pitifully. "Thank you for coming. Thank you so much."

"What's going on?" Catherine asked worriedly.

"I can't do this," Mari sighed, putting a hand to her head. "I'm going to mess it all up. Cath, I'm genuinely petrified. Mortified. Terrified. All the ieds!"

"Mari," Catherine said slowly, "are you and Josh getting married?"

Mari covered her mouth and looked up with hesitant eyes before nodding quickly.

"Oh my god," Catherine gasped, pulling her friend into a hug. "Congratulations."

Mari nodded. "But I can't, Cath...what if he gets tired of me?! What if I can't be what he wants? What if I lose him?! I can't, Cath. It's too much. I want to go home."