Chapter 6: Two Months Later

"Good morning, Babe," Cath smiled.

"Morning," Matt sighed, rolling over. "Wake me up in another five minutes."

"Are you tired?" Catherine chuckled. "I've been up for three hours."

"Ten more minutes."

"Alright," Catherine smiled, kissing his forehead. "Babe, you're a little warm. Do you feel alright?"

"An hour? I don't have to be anywhere, do I?"

"Hon, what's wrong?" Cath asked with concern.

"Everything's fuzzy," Matt mumbled.

"Baby, I think you should see Jack."

"Hey, Cath, I don't feel so good."

"Alright, come on," Catherine sighed, pulling the sheets off of him. "We're going to see Jack. I don't need you getting sick."

"Sick?!" Matt yelped, sitting up. "You're sick?!"

"No, Hon. You are."

"Me? Stay away! You can't get sick!"

"I have a strong immune system. Get up. I'm taking you to the doctor," Catherine sighed.

"No," Matt whimpered. "He'll tell Josh, and Josh will freak out and come back and-" Matt's eyes lit up. "Let's go. Let's go right now."

"Okay. Are you in any pain at all?" Cath asked with concern.

"Mhm," Matt nodded drowsily, sitting up.

"Where?"

"My side," Matt moaned.

"Right or left?"

"Right."

"Hm," Catherine hummed with a frown. She applied pressure to his lower right side and then released, something she had learned from Jack long ago. "Does that hurt?"

"Yes," Matt winced, recoiling in pain. "Ow."

"Babe," Cath sighed, rubbing his back, "I think you might have appendicitis."

"No," Matt whimpered.

Catherine put an arm around him. "It's going to be okay. We just need to get you to the doctor," she said calmly.

"I hate doctors."

"I know, Honey, but I have to take you."

"Fine."

Catherine kissed his cheek and helped him out of bed. They got dressed and went to Jack's office, and he performed a very thorough examination.

"So," Cath sighed, "what's the diagnosis?"

"It's definitely appendicitis," Jack nodded. "You'll have to take him to the hospital for surgery."

Matt's eyes widened. "No. Absolutely not. No way!"

Catherine grasped his hand gently. "Honey, if you don't have surgery, it'll get worse."

"I haven't had an operation since my accident. I do not want one ever again. Ever!"

"I know," Cath said softly, "but Baby, you have to have this done. Otherwise, your appendix will burst, and then you're in for a whole lot of trouble."

"Listen to your wife, Matt," Jack nodded. "She knows what she's talking about."

"Fine," Matt muttered angrily. "Let's get this over with."

"Thank you," Catherine sighed, kissing his cheek. She drove to the hospital, trying to keep her own nerves in check. She hated seeing her husband in pain, and she knew that the recovery process wasn't the easiest.