Chapter 8: Gender Reveal

"Do you see them yet?"

"I think that's them over there," Matt replied, pointing towards a woman and two girls whom had just gotten off a plane. "We're too far away to tell."

The group of girls came closer and the older woman smiled. "Catherine! Matt!" She called.

Ashley and Scarlett's jaws dropped as they ran to their sister, tightly embracing her.

Scarlett put her hands on Catherine's stomach. "You're pregnant!" She exclaimed excitedly.

"Yep," Catherine grinned. "With twins."

Ashley and Scarlett squealed.

"Careful," Matt chuckled.

"Relax, Matt," Catherine sighed with a smile. "I'm not made of porcelain."

"You're pregnant," Matt nodded, kissing her cheek, "that's close enough."

"So," Emily interjected, "did you find out what you're having?"

"Yes, we found out this morning," Catherine beamed.

"Well?" Emily laughed.

"All in time," Catherine chuckled. "We're having a few friends and family members over tonight. We're going to tell everyone then. That reminds me, I need to get home so that I can start baking."

"Baking?" Ashley questioned.

"Yeah. It's a gender reveal. There has to be a way to reveal the genders."

"Oh, so you're making cakes," Scarlett nodded.

"Exactly," Catherine smiled.

"Predictable," Ashley sighed.

"Do you have any better suggestions?" Catherine smirked.

"Fireworks."

Catherine face palmed. "Ash, you're talk to two burn victims."

"You're not a burn victim. Matt's a burn victim."

"Yeah, I am a burn victim," Catherine nodded. "No. Fire."

"I burned my hand on the stove yesterday. Mom, I'm a burn victim!"

"I got pushed into an open fire and permanently scarred my right side. Hurts like heck, thanks for asking. Who wants to go back to the apartment?"

Ashley frowned. "When?"

"When I was thirteen," Catherine shrugged.

"Where was dad?" Ashley asked softly.

"Out on a walk with my mom," Cath explained. "We were camping."

"Dad should have been there," Ashley whispered bitterly.

Catherine shook her head. "I'm a silent sufferer."

"Stop talking about dad," Scarlett said angrily.

"So, Catherine, you're having twins," Emily interjected. "Have you given any thought to how you'll have them?"

"Naturally," Catherine nodded. "My doctor said that, because of the way they're laying, it's okay."

"Fun," Emily chuckled. "Sounds painful."

Catherine shrugged. "Pain doesn't matter to me."

"Let's not talk about that, Darling," Matt winced. "Ever."

"Let's just say, you won't be doing much activity after those kids come out," Emily sighed. "Hurts. Like. Heck."

"Oh, trust me, I've been doing research," Catherine laughed nervously. "I know what I'm in for."