Chapter 1: Six Months Later

Matt walked into the kitchen and cringed. "You know I hate it when you peel potatoes with a knife."

"I couldn't find the peeler," Catherine shrugged.

"Can I at least help you?" Matt sighed.

Catherine set down the potato and looked at him skeptically. "When we were dating, I asked you to cut up a carrot, and you ended up dropping the knife, cutting yourself, and getting stitches."

—————

"Excuse me!" A young man yelled, pushing past the crowd. "Coming through! Important package here!"

His fiancee grabbed him by the arm and jerked him backward. "You thought you could escape me?!"

"Yes?"

Mari gave a smirk. "Without saying goodbye? Really, Josh, you should know better."

"Shh! They might hear you!"

"Relax. Cath is busy at the apartment right now," Mari chuckled. "Just chill out."

Josh bit his lip. "Fine. You packed for Saturday?"

"Packed and ready as I'll ever be," Mari smiled, kissing his cheek.

A small pebble slid through the air.

"Watch it, Taylor," Matt chuckled.

Josh jumped at least four feet away from Mari. "Well, if it isn't the new manager," he sneered.

"The one and only. Catherine banished me from the apartment," Matt sighed. "Apparently, I was 'backseat cooking'. I didn't know that was a thing."

"Oh, yeah, you don't want to do that with her," Mari laughed. "But I give you credit for trying."

"Thanks," Matt chuckled. "It's cute, really. She's excited to see Carlos. It's been awhile."

"I know. I can't believe he's been in America for six months," Mari sighed. "Cath took it pretty hard when he left. For her sake, I'm glad he's coming back."

"Yeah. Even I miss him," Josh nodded in affirmation.

"He's a great guy," Matt nodded. "He's been there for Cath, and for that, I am grateful."

"Yep. Well, I have work. I'll see you later, Matt," Mari said quickly before scurrying away.

"I don't understand why you won't go after her, man," Matt sighed, shaking his head.

"Yeah," Josh mumbled, "it's complicated."

"Well...I'll see you for dinner tonight, right?"

"Yep," Josh nodded, popping the p.

"Alright," Matt smiled. "I have to go buy some flowers. It's Cath's and my six month anniversary."

"Sounds good," Josh grinned. "I'll see if Uriah needs any help, and then I'll head over to help Cath, if she needs it."

"Be careful," Matt warned. "She gets testy when she's in the kitchen."

"Alright," Josh laughed.

—————

"Come in," Catherine replied to the knock on the front door as she chopped some vegetables.

"Little Lotte let her mind wander," Carlos said as he entered the kitchen. "Little Lotte thought, 'Am I fonder of dolls, or of goblins, or of shoes?'"

"Carlos," Catherine laughed softly.

"Or of riddles, or of frocks?" Carlos continued. "Or of chocolates?"