Chapter 12: I'm So Scared

"Hey!" Josh grinned, creaking the door open. "Guess who's home early!"

"Henry Cavill?" Mari grinned teasingly.

"Very funny," Josh laughed, dropping his bags.

Mari wrapped her arms around him. "I missed you."

"I missed you more," Josh sighed. "Work was pure torment without you."

"Why did you have to go in the first place?" Mari frowned.

"Well, I thought some change of scenery would be nice. And they really needed me. I kinda invented their programming so-"

"You thought a change of scenery would be nice?" Mari scoffed. "What? Are you sick of me?"

"Never you," Josh frowned. "Just the city. It's so packed. When we were in America, I took Violet to that park nearly everyday."

"What? We can't go to the park?" Mari frowned, crossing her arms with a shrug.

"We could," Josh stammered. "Babe, are you alright? You aren't acting like yourself."

"Why do you...why does everyone assume I'm the one with the problem? You're the idiot in this relationship. If anyone's not alright, it's you."

Josh's eyes narrowed. "Okay, that crosses a line."

"So, you had sucky parents. I didn't have parents, I-"

"Mariah, what the heck is going on?" Josh laughed.

"Maybe I'm sick of being stuck in here too, Josh. Did you even think to invite me to Vienna?!"

"I did!" Josh exclaimed. "You didn't want to go!"

"You should have asked twice! God, you're useless."

"Stop!" Josh yelled, slamming his fist on the table and making Mari jump backward in surprise. "That's enough!"

"I-"

"I said enough!" Josh exclaimed. "You swore to me, Mariah, you'd be my one safe place, and right now, you're acting just like every trash low life that's ever crossed my path! So just quit it before my respect for you is gone completely!"

"Nice thing to say to your pregnant wife!" Mari scoffed angrily.

"Honestly, Mariah, I'm disappointed that you could stoop so low," Josh continued, his face red from yelling.

Mari bit her tongue in her mouth and held back the tears.

"Now what the heck is wrong with you?!" Josh snapped.

Mari broke into tears. "I haven't slept in three days, Josh. I'm so scared. You're going to hate me. Jack told me and I didn't listen and now I don't know what to say or do or-"

Josh's eyes softened, and his pursed lips loosened as words attempted to form. "Wait. What?!"

"I can't say it again," Mari sobbed.

Josh took her firmly by the shoulders. "What did you say?!"

"Nothing," Mari whimpered, closing her eyes. "Nothing!"

"Mariah," Josh said softly, "Honey, I'm sorry. Now, what did you say?"

"I'm pregnant," Mari sobbed.

"W-w-what?" Josh stammered.

Mari sobbed harder and buried her face in his shirt as his hands hung helplessly at his sides.

Slowly, he placed one hand to her head and the other around her shoulders. "Mari, what on earth?"

"Please don't hate me. I shouldn't have told you. I'll die if you leave," Mari cried pitifully.