Chapter 22: Six Months Later

"Zoom!" Amy squealed, driving a toy card into her father's arm. "Zoom!"

Josh gently rubbed the small bruise that was forming on his arm. "No, thank you. No hitting, Amy."

"When Logan come over?" Amy pouted.

Josh looked up in surprise. "Was that a full sentence?"

Amy played with her toes and looked down. "No."

"So, Lotte and Logan get full sentences but Mommy and Daddy don't?"

Amy shrugged and went back to driving her car. "When?" She asked again softly.

"In an hour," Josh sighed.

"Alright, Amy, Mommy's heading out," Mari sighed, rushing out of the kitchen. She flashed a grin at Josh. "First day back."

He shot back two thumbs up. "First day back!"

"Gone," Amy mumbled bitterly.

"Logan's coming over," Josh reminded.

Amy slammed the car aside and looked up with heartbroken, little eyes. "Why?!"

"Why what?"

Amy's little brow crinkled with her delicate nose. "Why Mommy want to leave us?!"

"She has to, Sweetie. She'll be back soon," Josh said softly, kissing his daughter's cheek.

Overcome with emotion, Amy crossed her arms and screamed as loud as she knew how.

Josh rolled his eyes. Not this again. "That won't change things this time, peanut," he chuckled, tickling her until she stopped.

"How much longer until Logan?"

"Lotte's coming too," Mari said, scooping her up. "I'll be back. Quick as a bunny rabbit-"

"Fast as a rocket," Amy finished. "I know."

Mari kissed her cheek before setting her back down. "I love you."

"I love you too," Amy whimpered.

"I'll be back soon."

"Don't tell her about Jack until it's absolutely necessary," Mari whispered to Josh as she kissed his cheek

"Okay," Josh nodded.

Amy tugged on her mother's jeans until Mari gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead. "Love you, jelly bean."

Amy tried her best to put on a smile. It was, frankly, exhausting. Everything seemed exhausting lately. "Love you too. Bye."

————— 

"When are you taking the twins to see Amy?" Catherine asked through a wince.

Matt checked his watch and shrugged. "About an hour. Logan, put that down! Stop throwing shoes at Lotte!"

"She s-started it!" Logan yelled back indignantly.

Catherine moaned. "Make the pain stop."

"You're giving your mother a headache!" Matt yelled back.

"I did  not start it!" Lotte shot back. "It not my fault he ugly."

"I meant the contractions," Catherine sighed. "And if I hear you say another bad word about your brother, no TV for a week!"

"Still?" Matt frowned. "Weren't you having them this morning too? Think they're fake ones again?"

"My due date was last week, so I doubt it," Catherine groaned. "God, it hurts."