Chapter 28: You'll Figure Out a Way

"Hey Logan," Amy said, taking off her backpack. "Is it okay if I wait with you to get picked up?"

"S-sure," he nodded, closing his book. "H-how are you?"

"Tired," Amy shrugged. "School's exhausting. Even sitting is boring."

Logan frowned. "I d-don't like school e-e-either...but at least w-we get to see e-each other every day."

"I guess."

"L-Lotte was s-sick," Logan stammered, grasping at straws, "so she d-d-d-d- oh, curse m-my tongue."

Amy frowned. "Why don't you just sign?" She signed.

"Because Mom wants me to work on my speech," Logan signed back.

"You don't have to do anything. You should be proud," Amy signed with a little smile.

"Proud of what?" Logan scoffed.

"That your deaf," Amy said aloud.

"I'm n-not deaf. I j-j-just can't hear so g-good."

"My daddy told me being deaf isn't a physical attribute, Logan. It's a community, a way of life...What's that mean?"

Logan shrugged. "D-do you m-m-miss him?"

Amy was silent as she picked at the grass. "He'll be home soon. Quick as a bunny, fast as a rocket."

"How c-can you do th-that?" Logan sighed. "T-take things that are horrible and m-m-make them happy?"

Amy dug in the dirt with a stick. "My dad always said there was another way. Even on the darkest of nights, there's stars to guide us home."

Catherine pulled up and got out of the car. "Hey, kids! Amy, your mom asked me to pick you up too."

"Oh, thanks," Amy smiled, hopping in the back seat.

"How was school?"

"O-okay," Logan shrugged.

"I had stupid special ed again," Amy mumbled to Logan.

"R-really?" Logan frowned.

"I can't focus in the main class, so they moved me to the one with the other teachers."

"I w-wish you were s-still in our class," Logan pouted.

"Me too," Amy sighed. "Me too."

"Cath," Mari texted, "I think I broke my foot. Can you watch Amy? Matt's taking me to the doctor."

"Of course. God, what happened?" Catherine texted back with worry.

"I fell down the stairs," Mari typed. "I was carrying two loads of laundry at once again."

"Gosh, Mari," Catherine texted with a sigh. "Remind me to bubble wrap you."

"I know. It's just hard keeping up with Amy without him. I do what I can, though. Matt insisted on taking me to ER. Tell Amy I'm fine and will be home soon."

"Will do."

"W-who's texting you?" Logan frowned.

"It's Mari. She fell and Daddy's taking her to the hospital. Looks like your stuck with us for a little while longer, Amy," Catherine chuckled.

"Okay," she shrugged.

—————

Mari sat nervously on the doctor's table, rubbing her hands together as her foot throbbed with pain.

"Hi, Mari," Jack smiled softly, entering the room.

"Hi Jack," Mari almost whispered.

"Why so nervous?" He chuckled.