Chapter 19: I Thought We Had Agreed

"Alright," Jack smiled. "Are we ready?"

"I think so," Catherine nodded, sitting Lotte on her lap.

The baby squirmed a bit as Jack cleaned her ears and marked where the earrings would go. He instructed for Catherine to hold Lotte's head still and she complied.

"No," Lotte mumbled, trying to push Jack away.

"It's alright, Sweetheart," Jack cooed softly. "I'm giving you pretty earrings."

That seemed to calm Lotte down, giving Jack enough time to pierce her right ear.

As most young children, Lotte cried and squirmed.

"Matt, it looks adorable," Catherine gasped.

"Mhm," Matt hummed distractedly, playing a game on his phone with Logan.

Cath rolled her eyes and held her daughter still as Jack pierced her other ear.

"All done," Jack grinned. "I hope she doesn't hate me too much."

"She'll get over it," Catherine chuckled, holding her crying daughter close. "Thanks, Jack."

"No problem," he smiled. "I'll see you for your appointment next week, right?"

Catherine nodded.

"How does he do everything?" Matt muttered. "It's insane. There's gotta be laws."

Jack chuckled. "Not on helping people."

Logan turned his head to Catherine and outstretched his arms. "Mama."

Cath sighed and picked him up, situating both children comfortably. "Alright, Matt. Let's go before my arms fall off."

—————

Catherine set Logan down and went over to the crib, laying her sleeping daughter down gently. She turned her head to see her son walking slowly toward her. "Oh my goodness," she whispered. "Matt! Matt, come here quickly!"

Matt rushed into the room just in time to see Logan take a few more steps and steady himself by holding onto Cath's leg. "Did he just-"

"I walk," Logan grinned.

Catherine picked up her son and kissed his cheek. "I'm so proud of you."

—————

"Josh, can you take Amelia today?"

"I have work, but I suppose," Josh shrugged.

"Just- just be careful with her?" Mari said worriedly. "I want to get something's from Dad's."

"I promise, she'll be safe," Josh assured, kissing his wife's cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too," Mari smiled. "See you later, Hon. Dad has some of Mel's stuff...I wanted to get it."

"Alright," Josh nodded. "I'll take Amelia to work."

"She has a doctor's appointment later," Mari noted. "Don't forget."

"She always has doctor's appointments," Josh sighed.

"I know, Babe," Mari sighed. "But it is what it is. Let's just hope nothing comes up."

Josh nodded. "Alright. I'll see you later, Honey."

Mari went to her father's house and opened a few boxes in the attic. "Come on, Josh," she laughed sadly, flipping through an old year book. "Where are you?"

Among the boxes, she found her sister's cell phone.

"Guess you'll have to wait, high school Josh," she chuckled.