Chapter 26: He's Gone

Jack bit his tongue. This was the worst thing he had ever faced in his life. But he was a doctor. He had taken an oath to help people, and right now, millions were hurting.

Millions.

"Mariah," he sighed, "you can come in now. Leave Amy outside."

"Okay," she said slowly, walking into his office. "What's going on?"

"Sit down, Mariah," Jack sighed.

She complied immediately. "Jack, you're scaring me."

"Mari, I need you take a deep breath, alright?" Jack said as he paced the room in a panic.

"What happened?" Mari asked sternly.

"Josh left on a train for Paris this morning, right?" Jack said slowly.

"Think of the kids. Their families. Think of the lives you're saving," Jack yelled at himself internally.

"He got on at noon...he-"

"Jack, where is he?"

"H-halfway...halfway there, the train stopped. Two armed men hijacked it...Whitney...Whitney's men."

Mari's heart skipped a beat. "Is Josh okay?"

"Breathe, Mariah," Jack said sternly, pain in his voice. "They're looking for him right now, but you know- you know that chances are-" His voice cracked in grief. "Mariah, I'm sorry."

Tears slipped down Mari's cheeks. "I have to go."

"Mari-"

"I have to go," she repeated, "and somehow figure out a way to tell Amy."

"Let Matt do it. Or Cath. You don't have to tell her yet. Nothing's certain. B-bring her in."

"Okay," Mari sighed, going back out into the lobby and ushering her daughter into the room.

As soon as Amy was pushed inside, Mari collapsed into a chair, every part of her quivering with horror.

—————

"Hi, Uncle Jack," Amy grinned.

"Hi, Amelia. Ready for your checkup?" Jack smiled best he could.

She nodded silently.

"I just have to go grab my things, alright?" Jack said softly. "Can you wait here for a few moments? Like usual?"

"Sure," Amy sighed, kicking her feet in boredom.

Jack slipped around the back and ran straight into Josh.

"What's wrong?" Josh laughed. "You've been calling me nonstop for the past hour!"

"It's Amy. She had an allergic reaction to some medication," Jack lied.

"Is she okay?" Josh asked worriedly.

"Isaac, you better sit down."

"I don't want to sit down!" Josh yelled, pushing Jack hard in the shoulder. "I want to know if my daughter's okay!"

"Josh, I'm sorry," Jack moaned.

"What?! What happened?!"

"I tried to help her. You've gotta believe me," Jack mumbled.

Josh punched him in the jaw with maximum strength. "What happened?!" He shouted as two doctors tried to drag him back.

"I did everything I could."

"Let me see her!" Josh screamed in frantic desperation. "Let me see my baby girl! Please! Let me see her! Where's my wife? Where's Mariah?!" He happened to glance down the hall, where and oblivious Mari sat, curled in a ball and crying, her headphones drowning out the world and her sorrows.