Chapter 9: Not Young Anymore

"Cath?!" Mari said over the phone. "Cath, wake up and pay attention. I had a nightmare."

"What?" Catherine yawned. "What's wrong? Did something happen?"

Mari was crying as she said, "I had a dream Josh disappeared and I couldn't find Violet. He's out at work tonight and I didn't know who else to call, I'm sorry."

"It was just a dream, Hon," Catherine sighed. "Don't let it worry you."

—————

"Ready?" Josh asked hesitantly, flipping a few switches on the soundboard. "Matt, you're sure about this?"

"Stop asking me if I'm sure. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't," Matt laughed.

Josh gave a weak smile. "Alright."

Matt couldn't help but frown. Sure, Josh seemed better. Less full of laughter to cover up his sorrows, but there wasn't the confidence he had before. The feeling he could say no wrong, take no false step.

"Now?" Josh asked with a quaver in his voice.

Matt raised his hand and slashed it through the air as if he were conducting the universe on his own time. "Now."

Josh turned a dial, and the faint roar of the static underneath a police scanner could be heard on. "Now what, Batman?" He asked, crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair.

Matt gave a little half smirk. "Now, we wait."

"I still think you're crazy," Josh laughed.

"Good."

—————

"Hey," Mari smiled, closing the front door, "Violet's at school, moping. Thought I'd come over."

"Hey," Catherine sighed as Mari came into the kitchen. "I have no idea where my husband is. I'm thinking he ran of with some hot chick from the coffee shop. Fiji, maybe? Costa Rica?"

"Cath, that's not even funny," Mari frowned.

"I never said it was."

"Matt would never. He probably went out to buy you food or to hang with Josh."

"Well," Catherine shrugged, "Ash and Scarlett are coming over in a little while. We're going to the Eiffel Tower. Please come."

"I have to pick Vi up at one," Mari said, checking her watch.

"How long do you guys have to care for her?"

"Until her mom comes back," Mari sighed. "Which honestly, Cath...I'm worried."

"You don't think she's coming back?" Cath guessed.

Mari shook her head hesitantly. "I don't. From what Josh's told me, and from what Violet's told me...the facts are scary. How could someone not want their child, Cath? It's frightening."

"Maybe it's just that she can't properly take care of her," Catherine said thoughtfully.

"I'm no mom, though, Cath. I barely know what to say to her- hold on, my phone's buzzing." Mari's face turned red. "Jack," she muttered angrily.

—————

The school bell rang loudly against Violet's skull. Just another day of pure torment as always. Another day without...who cared about that block head, anyway? It wasn't like she liked him stealing her lunch money.

Still.

It had become a part of her daily routine, and she seemed lost without him.

"Watch out!" The gym coach yelled as the baseball hurdled through the air and struck her across the jaw.