Why Storms are Named After People

"I will bruise your lips,
and scar your knees
and love you too hard.

I will destroy you
in the most beautiful way possible.

And when I leave,
you will finally understand,
why storms are named after people."

Oliver Taylor was the man of Dan's dreams. He was Dan's first real boyfriend, his first real kiss, his first time, his first... love.

Dan remembered when they had walked hand in hand through the Fletcher Moss Botanical Gardens and snogged next to an assortment of beautiful flowers. It was beautiful at the time and all Dan could do is enjoy the moment with his boyfriend.

He remembered the time that he and Oliver had a Star Wars marathon together and stayed up all night. They spent the night laughing and theorizing and just having one of the best nights Dan had ever had.

He could distinctly recall the moment he told Oliver that he loved him. It was night after their third date. They hadn't even known each other for that long but Dan said it the moment he thought it because he was consumed by the feeling and had to let Oliver know.

What Dan remembered most about their relationship was the night he walked into their bedroom and found Oliver in bed with Dan's best friend at the time. That was the night their whole relationship changed.

Now, if he even drove passed the Fletcher Moss Botanical Gardens, he felt sick to his stomach. There was an empty weight in his hand that made Dan feel like a part of him was missing. He saw flashbacks of kissing and red flowers that made him bite his cheek so hard he could taste blood in his mouth.

If Star Wars- one of his favorite movie franchises- was on, he had to turn it off. If he watched it, all he could hear was Oliver's laugh and his funny accusations and the fake arguing that they had done.

It was now that he remembered Oliver's reaction when Dan said he loved him. Oliver just smiled and said it back quickly before changing the subject. The words were emotionless and just said to be said.

Dan had to move as soon as they broke up- new town, new place, new friends. Dan couldn't even listen to the apologies from the people closest to him about shattering his heart into pieces. He couldn't look into the room without feeling completely numb.

Even when he was away from it all, avoiding what had happened, Dan felt more pain than he thought he could deal with. There was a long time when his depression got worse than ever and he thought that maybe ending it all would be easier, but he didn't. And it was almost all because of a man named Phil Lester.

Phil showed him that's there is more to the world than Oliver Taylor and a swirl of emotions that lead to heartbreak. Dan learned that there were people like Phil. People who were so themselves that they made you want to be yourself. A person that made him so happy all he wanted to do was return the favor. In all honesty, Dan thinks he fell in love with Phil immediately because each moment he was with Phil, he felt like he was healing.

Like, there was the time they got stuck in traffic, right outside the Gardens. Dan could feel the tightening of his throat and the water that was forming in his eyes. He blinked a few times, not wanting to show that he was still hurt, but that didn't even seem to matter. It was all forgotten because Phil took a look at the Gardens and scrunched up his nose in disgust. 

"I hate that place," He muttered. Dan looked at him- completely surprised. Sure, he had told Phil about Oliver, but he hadn't told him much about the Gardens. 

"Why?" Dan wondered. 

"There has not been a time I went there that I haven't gotten lost." Dan laughed and Phil immediately started to defend himself. "I swear! Every time I look at flowers or something, whoever I'm with keeps walking without realizing I'm gone!" And then Phil was laughing too. 

And now when Dan sees the name or somebody talks about the place or he drives passed it, he can't help but smile because of fucking course Phil got lost there. He imagined Phil wandering around trying to find somebody, but with Phil's horrible sense of directions, he would just end up back to where he started or possibly more lost. Now it was just a place that they hated together and just avoided. 

Dan remembered when Star Wars: The Force Awakens came out and Phil immediately said, "We are going to see that." At first, Dan's reaction was definitely no, but then he saw Phil's face. Phil's smile was huge and welcoming and excited and just so hopeful for Dan to say yes. 

The look on Phil's face took Dan back to when he was six years old and introduced to Star Wars the first time. He remembered watching the first one and begging to watch the second one. He remembered the action figures, the pajamas, sitting in theatres the day of release and Dan's heart was so full, he forgot about how empty how Oliver had made it. He only said, "Yeah, obviously."

Then there was the time that Dan had told Phil he loved him. He hadn't said it first- he was too scared Phil didn't love him back. And Phil wasn't like Oliver. With Oliver, if he hadn't set it back Dan would've felt like his world ended. But with Phil, Dan would've wanted his world to end. He wouldn't want to live on a planet where he loved Phil, but Phil didn't love him. 

But, one night when they were cuddling on the couch, Dan was surprised when Phil had said it first. Breathless and amazed by the fact that he was in love. 

Dan remembered asking, "Are you sure? Like 100% sure... you... you love me?" And Phil just looked at him like he was crazy and gave him a long kiss. 

 "I've never been more sure about anything," He stated plainly. "And you don't even have to say it back. I just wanted you to know." 

"No-I... I love you, too." Dan did say it back, realizing that he hadn't even loved Oliver as much as he loved Phil. And they said it again... and again... and again and again because they loved each other and they didn't care who knew it. 

The best part about Phil was that even 10 years later, they were still together and as happy as they could be. There was no way in hell that Phil would ever cheat on Dan, because even when Dan was jealous of somebody else, Phil found a way to reassure Dan that he was the only person Phil could ever love as much as he did. 

Dan knew the second he and Oliver's relationship was over why storms were named after people. But it wasn't until he met Phil that Dan realized there are two types of storms. There are the hurricanes that do nothing but cause destruction and separation, leaving nothing in their path except for regret and too much regrowth and help people to do alone. And then there were rainstorms. The passionate and continuous showers that are vital for the earth- the ones that create life and make it grow.

Phil was the type of storm that calmed you after a stressful day. The one that you would sit and watch when you're sad, watching two raindrops become one. The sound of soft rumbling thunder that set you at peace and the feeling of lightning, that left you breathless and exhilarated. Phil was the type of storm that broke away for sunshine, happiness, and safety- knowing the storm would always be there because the earth couldn't live without it.