The First Time

*Phils point of view*

"Pops!" I heard from the couch, I looked over at Dan.
"I'll be right back." I whispered giving him a peck on the cheek. We were watching a movie with our son, Dylan, when it happened. I met her in the hallway.

She was about as tall as my torso, the doctor said that she was pretty much done growing, very different from Dan and I. She had skin a little darker than Dan's and her hair was blond and curly. I could see some of the mascara she was wearing was smeared on her face.

"What's up Winn?" I asked with a reassuring smile, she had a nervous look on her face.
"Um.. never mind." Her face was bright red and she looked down at her feet.
"Little Bear, you know you can tell me anything." I said cupping her chin looking into her hazel eyes.
"I.. got my.. thing." She mumbled avoiding my gaze.
"You're.. what?" I frowned.
"My.. thing." She started to bite her nail, a trait she picked up from Dan . I couldn't seem to think what she was talking about, what thing?

I could feel the shock settle over my face. I knew she was growing up fast, but I didn't think it was this fast.
"Oh." I said quietly. "You mean your.. p-" I couldn't bring myself to say it. "Period." I let go of a breath, her face went redder.
"Yeah." Her breathing picked up.
"Hey, don't freak out it's fine, I know what to do." I smiled and she nodded. "Just wait here, I'm going to go tell your dad."
"Ok." She mumbled.

I walked calmly to Dan.. until I was out of Winnie's sight. Then I pretty much ran to him.
"Dandandan!" I said quietly getting to him.
"What? What's wrong?" He said looking back and forth between my eyes.
"Winnie got it." I said gripping his shoulders.
"Got what?" His face twisted in confusion.
"It." I said, my eyes blown wide, his were too.
"The.. the women thing?!" He asked frantically, his voice going up an octave. "With the blood?!" I nodded not able to get any words out. Dylan walked up to us.
"What's wrong with Winnie?" He asked, he was only four, so he wasn't going understand even if we explained it to him.
"Um.. nothing, she's a little sick right now. Pop's and I are going to have a talk, so keep watching your movie ok." Dan smiled at little Dyl.

It was crazy how much he looked like Dan, he had small brown curls and light brown eyes. Although, he acted more like me. He was watching a Disney movie after all. He nodded and walked back to the living room. We changed location to the kitchen.

You see, when Dan and I were adopting, we were very weary about a girl. Neither of us have ever dated girls, and when we did the relationship never lasted long enough for us to even talk about getting their period.

"What do we do?!" I asked running my hands through my hair. "Call one of our mums?" I suggested.
"No! That would be her grandma! We can't ask them!" Dan frowned.
"Then who do we call?!" I yelled frantically. We both thought for a moment.
"Ghostbusters!" I shouted singing along to the song. Dan gave me a you're-an-idiot-look.
"Phil, can you not be a five year old right now, this is serious!

"Louise!" Dan smiled, he looked like a scientist that just struck a breakthrough. Which, to be far, was a great idea. I grabbed my phone and went to her contact.
"Hi Phil!" I heard over the phone.
"Hey Louise, you're on speaker by the way, so we can't talk crap about Dan like we usually do." Dan gave me another you're-an-idiot-look.
"Ok." She laughed. "What's up?" She asked.
"We have a slight issue." Dan cut in.
"Winnie got her... period.." I mumbled.
"And we don't know what to do.. and you're a woman so.. what do we do?" Dan asked nervously, there was a pause on the line.

"Oh my god, that poor girl, I'll be over in like.. 5 minutes." Louise hung up the phone before we could say thank you.
"Do you think she'll be mad at us?" Dan asked worriedly.
"We'll see." I sighed and we walked in Winnie's room.

I knocked on the door and it immediately opened.
"Did you find out what to do?" She asked with crimson cheeks.
"Well.. we.. called Louise." Dan said sheepishly. Her face made it looked like she'd seen a ghost.
"Why would you do that?!" She said looking betrayed.
"Well neither of us are woman hon, so we didn't really know what to do." I winced, she rolled her eyes.
"Will she at least be here soon?" She asked.
"Yeah she'll be here in like.. two minutes." Dan said reassuring her.
"Ok, I'll be in my room then." And with that Winnie slammed her door in our faces.

"Well, shit." Dan sighed.
"Dan!" I said slapping him on the arm as we started walking back.
"You know, this where she gets her potty mouth from." I raised my eyebrows at him.
"Yeah yeah. It's ok, we have Dylan, he can be the innocent one." He shrugged walking back, I rolled my eyes as I followed him.

We were met with Louise walking in the door.
"Where is she?" She asked immediately, she had some bags in her hands, but I didn't need to know what was in those.
"Bedroom." I pointed, she immediately followed my finger. She had a talking with Winnie as Dan and I played with Dylan.

Louise came out and sat next to us.
"She's good now, you should go talk to her, I'll take care of him." She smiled. "And she doesn't mind that I came over, I just said that you two are idiotic guys that don't understand women."
"Thanks Louise." I smiled.

I followed Dan to her bedroom, the door was open.
"Hey Winn." Dan smiled at her, she gave a weak smile back.
"Hey dads." She was staring down at her feet from her desk.
"Congrats.. on being a women I guess?" I broke the silence and Dan rolled his eyes.
"You're terrible at this." He pointed out, Winnie laughed.
"I don't see you doing much better." He narrowed his eyes.
"I think you guys are doing fine.. mostly." She shrugged as she scrolled through her computer.

We decided to leave her alone again and met Louise back in the living room. She stood up.
"You don't have to do much, except for keep an eye on her packages in the bottom drawer, if you notice they're empty, get new ones." She shrugged.
"Thanks Louise." Dan and I smiled.

She left and we plopped on the couch!watching Dylan drive around his little cars.
"14 & 4, our little kids are growing up fast." I sighed.
"I say we get another one." I looked over at Dan, he had a wistful smile on his face.