The Little Things

Phil had an amazing life (pun completely not intended). He had done so many things. He had grown up and gotten a degree at a nice school, he had become a YouTuber- earning millions of subscribers. In the line of YouTube he had met his best friend in the whole entire world, who he dated and later in life even married. He had hosted two tours with the man he loved, and together they had created an amazing life (pun #2, also not intended). He had travelled everywhere, seeing almost everything he could see.

But after all that, those weren't the things that he loved the most about his life. Sure, those were all amazing (oh my God, there's another one), and he was so incredibly thankful, but they weren't what made his life worth living. For him, what made life worth living was the little things.

It wasn't getting the degree and making it to a nice school, it was the way his mom smiled at him, so proud of what he was starting. It was the time he won a game of beer pong with a friend of his. It wasn't becoming a YouTuber and having millions of subscribers, it was that one time a fan sent him a piece of fanart that was planned so well and looked just like him. It's when a fan walks up to him and gives him a hug. It wasn't dating his best friend, it was that time he played Mariokart with him until midnight. It was the smile that was picked out solely for him. It wasn't marrying the love of his life, it was the way his eyes teared up as they were leaning in to kiss. It was the eager smile on Dan's lips as they did. It wasn't the giant tour, it was that little girl that smiled at them with whiskers on her face. It was the piece of confetti falling and landing in one of Dan's curls, which made them both laugh so hard that night. It wasn't going to all the places, it was hearing someone ask what his name was the first time in another language. It was the time Dan fell in front of him on the streets of LA.

For Phil, the little things in life were the best things. Because those were the things that made the big things so damn great. Those are the things you remember the most and miss the moment they are gone. Plus, if you plan a big thing and it goes wrong, you can always remember one little thing that was nice. Because sometimes it's the little things that become the big things.

As Phil was sitting on the couch editing a video of his, he realized that at that exact moment, he was experiencing one of those little things. He didn't even notice it for the hour he was working, but once he did he couldn't get the smile off his face.

While he was editing, Dan had laid on the couch. Phil didn't know when it happened, but Dan's arms were wrapped snuggly around his torso and his head laying near Phil's hip next to his computer. He was breathing so slow and deep, Phil figured he was asleep. He took his fingers and worked them through his hair. He took the strands and curled them around his fingers, making the curly hair impossibly curlier. Phil decided he had had enough of editing, and put the computer on the coffee table. He scooted closer to Dan so he could rest his head completely on his lap.

It was the little things he love about Dan. He loved Dan's hair. It was so unbelievably curly and brown and so beautifully sat on the top of his head. His eyelashes were so long that they casted a shadow over his face, making it look like he was wearing mascara when he wasn't (although on the rare occasion when he had, he looked damned good). He had moles sprinkled all over his face in random places and it made Phil giggle that there was no way Dan could cover them up (he had tried). He had bushy eyebrows that he would never admit he put work into, but they looked so good. His nose was big but it just made him look like a giant squish all the time with his big cheeks and the way he smiled. His lips were pretty big and so pink and always chapped (which Phil tried and failed to fix with Chapstick), but Phil just found them so intoxicating.

Phil traced every part of his face with his fingers as he observed it. Dan was just his favorite thing in his life. Every little thing that made Dan Dan just made Phil loved him more than anything in the whole world. Dan was his favorite little thing, one tiny thing out of the whole expansion of the universe.

"What are you doing?" Dan mumbled. He slowly squinted his eyes open.

Phil looked into those beautiful brown eyes. Dan always talked about how much he admired Phil's eyes and how beautiful blue eyes were and how badly he wanted them, but Phil just didn't understand how Dan didn't see it the way he did. Dan's eyes were just so light and they reminded him of coffee, literally one of Phil's favorite things. Every time he saw them Dan would blink and just like the caffeine, he would crave more. As if that wasn't enough for someone to fall head over heels for, Dan's eyes had ripples of pure gold in them. And in the sun, God don't even get Phil started on that, they would just turn into that beautiful yellow brown. It's like they just take in the color of sunshine and dull it just enough that you can stare straight at the reflection without those awful colorful splotches that burn your eyes.

"God, you're just so beautiful." Phil whispered, pushing back some of the hair on his forehead. He leaned down, laying a soft kiss on his lips. "It's breathtaking."

Dan rolled his eyes at him. "Shut up, Phil," he laughed. God, that laugh! So loud and beautiful and amazing, it brought Phil home.

"I'm serious." Phil couldn't help but lay another kiss on the beautiful man in front of him. "I don't think there's anything in the whole world I would rather look at than those eyes, and that smile, and those little marks all over your face." Phil emphasized the point by planting kisses everywhere he spoke of, his lips, his eyelids and each mole scattered.

"The world's pretty fucking huge, Phil," Dan whispered. It was all he could manage with the way Phil was looking at him. He cursed himself at the lump forming in his throat.

"And yet, you are the most beautiful thing on it." Phil kissed Dan again, this time on his forehead. "Beautiful doesn't even cut it, Dan." Phil made his way down Dan's face, trying to catch his beauty in his lips.

Dan was really crying now. He didn't understand how Phil could say that. He had seen so many things in his lifetime, and Dan was one person. He was one person he saw every moment of every day, how could that stay so breathtakingly amazingly beautiful when there was so many other things to look at?

"I don't deserve you," Dan huffed a laugh. He brought his hand to the back of Phil's short black hair, right at the base of his neck.

Phil slowly wiped the tears away from Dan's eyes. "You deserve anything that you could ever want. You deserve... Dan, you deserve the world. The whole universe." Phil was tearing up now, too. He loved Dan so much he couldn't even handle how full his heart was.

"I already have it," Dan whispered back, pulling Phil in for another kiss.

Yeah, you could say Phil enjoyed the little things in life because for him, those were the best things.