Can't Help But Stare

Dan didn't exactly know when it started. He figured maybe it happened when he first met him. His eyes would meet his and they would hold a gaze. It was AmazingPhil after all, a guy he had idolized for at least a year before they met. He couldn't help how starstruck he was when they first met. He just couldn't believe that Phil had picked him, some random fan out of the many many people who looked up to him.

Not only was it Phil Fucking Lester, but he had blue eyes that trapped the universe. Ones that, honestly, nobody should have all that power to be so attractive. They had the height up to the sun in the sky, all the way down to the depths of the ocean with the mysterious seaweed and weird growing algae. He had that dark black hair that matched his pale skin so aesthetically well, Dan couldn't believe it. As if that wasn't enough to gawk at, Phil literally had pink lips, lips that were constantly leaving Dan out of breath (not only from looking at them).

So, hey, maybe Dan stared a little when they first met. Most times it was when Phil looked at him and he just looked back, looking into those pretty eyes. Sometimes, though, he caught himself staring at Phil for no reason. It happened throughout the first couple years they met. Sometimes Phil would even notice. He would ask, "what? Is there something in my face?" To which Dan, flustered as ever after being caught, would look away and shake his head. Sometimes he would mutter a, "nothing."

Although, after a while, their relationship grew. With that, Dan found himself staring even more. It wasn't just when Phil was wearing oranges and reds that made his blue eyes pop, either. It would be whenever Phil made a stupid joke and he had that little tongue thing with the wide smile that made his face all wrinkly. It was when he talked about animals and just started to get so excited and happy. It was when he just laughed so hard that he started to get out of breath, those were the times Dan would find himself smiling as he just watched Phil until Phil calmed down and got back to whatever he was doing.

Dan didn't notice when the staring grew to random times his eyes caught on Phil until "Heart Eye Howell" became such a big thing. He realized that it wasn't just when Phil was talking or happy, he would just stare at Phil and he didn't really know why. He would catch glances at Phil while he watched Tv for no reason other than the fact that he couldn't look away. He didn't even care about it until Phil and him were editing and rewatching a video.

"They're kind of right," Phil had said. He cut down a piece of the video where nothing was really happening. Well, in his eyes. All Dan could focus on was the way that he was staring at Phil, again. He found that he couldn't stop his eyes from wandering to Phil, no matter what he did to try and stop himself.

"Who?" Dan frowned, snapping out of his thoughts. He wondered what Phil could be talking about when the only thing they had done all day was make and watch their video. "Right about what?"

"The viewers," Phil stared him like it was obvious, that Dan should pick up right where he just randomly stopped. Dan gave him a, come on, keep going look. Phil rolled his eyes and sighed. "It's cute." He shrugged pointing at the screen, playing back the video.

"For God's sake, Phil!" Dan huffed. "What?!" He laughed at Phil's exasperated look when, in reality, Dan was the one who deserved to be exasperated.

"The way we look at each other. 'Heart Eyes Howell'... 'Love Eyes Lester'... its kind of sweet," Phil mumbled. He clicked away, oblivious to the way that Dan was gaping at him and the video, realizing- for the first time- that Phil looked at him the same way. In the video, Phil was just talking and Dan watched him speak with a smile on his face. Before he knew it, the situation flip flopped and Phil was the one staring at him with love and affection while Dan was distracted.

"Go back!" Dan shouted, not even waiting for Phil to get his hand back on the mouse. He went back to the video and relished the way that Phil was staring at him. The way those blue eyes were trained on the curls in Dan's hair and the way they glanced down at his lips for a few seconds there. He watched in absolute disbelief.

"What?" Phil asked. "Why are you freaking out?" Phil said, trying to calm him down. "Have you... never... seen this?" He wondered.

"Since when have you looked at me like that?!" Dan scoffed. He jabbed his finger at the screen a few time to emphasize his point.

"I don't know." Phil giggled, his face going a little pink. "Since always?" He shrugged. Dan didn't do anything but gawk at him- eyes and mouth wide open. "We're dating, silly." Phil hit him lightly, but Dan didn't budge. Phil suddenly got a little more serious. "Did you... did you honestly not realize that?"

"No!" Dan exclaimed. "I thought I was crazy! I can't help but stare at you half of the time, like I literally can't look away from you. At first I could, but soon I did it even when you turned away and now it's just... habit. And you've been doing the same thing! I thought I was crazy or something!" Phil suddenly grinned. "What now, Lester?" Dan narrowed my eyes at him.

"You're just funny, that's all. You must've just gotten so used to it that you don't notice," Phil pointed out. Dan opened his mouth to speak, but all that came out was a huff of breath. "I can't believe you haven't noticed it before." He laughed again.

"Me neither," Dan let out a short breath of air, barely being able to comprehend the fact that Phil shared his habit. Dan got lost in thought, but when he looked back over Phil was just sat grinning at him. "What?"

"You're cute," Phil observed, tilting his head at Dan in the cutest way. Dan's reaction was instantaneous, a blush erupted on his cheeks, making his whole face a bright red.

"Shut up," He muttered, rolling his eyes. Phil didn't move, if anything his smile just seemed to get wider.

"Aw, come on," Phil said in a teasing tone. He got closer to Dan, puckering out his lips a little, but Dan only responded by pushing his face away.

"Edit the damn video, Phil." Dan rolled his eyes along with trying to keep the smile off his face. It didn't help when Phil leaned over, smacked a kiss on his lips, and then got back to work.

Dan watched the parts that Phil was cutting out. He watched the way they looked at each other, the way they moved around each other, it made Dan full of joy. The feeling of knowing that even when he looked away, Phil couldn't help but stare and adore him, what was better than that?