Welcome to the Neighborhood Pt. 2

*Phil's point of view*

I think my smile after kissing Dan didn't leave my face for over an hour. I honestly couldn't believe I did it. I actually kissed him.

I had been hoping he liked me the whole month I knew him. I found out he was gay before I even met the guy. I distinctly remember Ms Ridley pointing across the straight and saying "across the street, there is Dan Howell. Now you better not be one of those homophobics, because he likes boys." I reassured her that I wasn't and that I was actually gay myself. She responded with a happy smile and then she was on her way an hour later. Maybe she was a bit annoying and her pies were bloody awful, but she was a genuinely sweet lady.

So, I was already pretty excited to meet him. Then I saw his face and the word hi came out of my mouth before I even knew what was happening. He was beautiful. He had pretty brown eyes, a soft face with freckles and little marks all over it. His brown hair was a frizzy curly mess atop his head. His lips were chapped- probably because he was messing with them and chewing on the bottom one so nervously.

He introduced himself and after that, I made it my mission to marry him someday.

The only things I were confused by was his feelings for me. We had become best friends fairly quickly, but I could never tell if he wanted more than that. Sure, he complimented me constantly, but when I did it back or laughed he just got flustered. I didn't know if he was embarrassed or happy about the return, so I didn't want to ask him out.

That all changed the night my dog, Baxter, went missing. I was- obviously- in a complete panic. I went to the person who I trusted the most and raced across the street. Dan was immediately ready to help me look and spent almost two and a half hours looking for him with me. And when I was down and truly felt like I lost him, Dan grabbed my hand and told me that we were going to keep going. 

The best part was that Dan was so damned tired- just like me. But yet, he decided to take my hand and keep going just because he cared about me and my dog so much. Forget dating him, if I proposed right then, would he have said yes? And then as if all that wasn't good enough, he actually ended up being the one to find Baxter. (Which, if Dan wasn't so damned distracting, I totally would've found him right away.)

So, when he walked me to my doorstep and was about to start telling me that I should get some sleep, I had an extremely overwhelming urge to kiss him- so I did. I cupped his face, squeezed my eyes shut and pulled his chapped lips to mine. 

I could've kissed Dan forever, but he didn't seem to feel the same. His whole body went rigid and he didn't melt into the kiss at all. His lips were firm and his hands weren't trying to move closer at all. I pulled away and there was a second where I felt like I might've guessed his fellings wrong, but then I saw the signs. 

Dan's mouth was gaping open, but the corners of his mouth were turned upwards like he was happy. When I did pull away, his whole body seemed like it was reaching to pull me back in. His fingers slightly outstretched, his foot took a small step forward. Even his wide eyes were glued to mine. 

No. I wasn't wrong at all. Dan liked me as much as I liked him. He didn't go stiff because he freaked out, it was because he was surprised. 

So, while I was still the one with my senses, I smirked and said goodnight to Dan, leaving him standing on my porch. The only real reason I shut the door was that I had the need to shout, "Baxter! I did it! I kissed him! He likes me!" and I felt like it would be embarrassing if he would've heard and seen me hop around my apartment with my stubby corgi following behind. 

But, then I heard a muffled, "I can hear you, you know," from the outside of the door and my whole face turned redder than a tomato. I walked over to the door and opened it again. 

Dan was standing there looking just as bashful- his face pink and his eyes glued to the ground. He was rolling a pebble under his shoe and I could see that small smile on his face from where I was. "You heard that?" I winced. He looked up and nodded- laughing that beautiful laugh of his at the same time. 

"Oh my God, that's so embarrassing." I laughed and covered my face, hoping the red would go away, but I don't think anything happened. 

"I think it's pretty fair, actually. You embarrassed yourself and I embarrassed myself." Dan shrugged. I frowned at him. 

"How have you been embarrassed?" I scoffed. He rolled his eyes like he was confident, but I could tell by the way his eyes were looking everywhere but me that it was a facade. 

"Oh come on," he smirked, "that was probably one of the worst kisses I have ever given." I almost started laughing crying because that was one of the last things I expected to come out of his mouth. "I'm a great kisser than that and I blew it." I was going to challenge him and I figured capturing his lips in another kiss was a good way to do that. 

My hands went to Dan's cheeks again and this time his hands and lips actually moved. His fingers tangled themselves in my hair and his lips were moving against mine as if they belonged there. He was so close I could smell his trace of cologne and I could taste chamomile tea on his tongue when mine entered his mouth. 

After who knows how long, I pulled away, breathing heavily against his lips. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears and it made me want to be so close to Dan that I could hear his and ours would become one loud one. That kiss... it was probably the best I had ever had up to that point and God, I wanted more. 

"Great kisser?" I asked him. He opened his brown eyes and stared at me in confusion. "I don't know. I think I need more to be sure." I smirked. Dan took the hint and immediately went in for more- passionate, quick, sloppy, explanatory, amazing, wonderful- 

"Daniel Howell and Phil Lester?"-interrupted by none other than Ms Ridley. We quickly split apart and waved- blushes and the high from kissing still rosy on our cheeks. 

"Hi, Ms Ridley. How are you?" I tried to be friendly, but she wasn't having it. 

"Oh, I just knew you two would get together! But, I know when I'm not welome-" I had to kick Dan when he snorted at that "-so I'll let you two be. Carry on!" And with that, she walked back into her home. 

Dan and I stood there for a while smiling and laughing at the fact that our elderly neighbor was willing to stay out of gossip for a few moments to leave alone to kissing. The more we laughed and talked about how rare that was, the more we realized that we just had to take advantage of that opportunity, so I yanked Dan inside and we carried on.