Parties can Actually be Fun

Depuis le début

"Yeah, I'll go talk to him," I smiled.

I walked over to where he was standing. It was quiet, thankfully, because he seemed to be avoiding the music and dancing. He barely seemed to acknowledge that I stood next to him. But, he wasn't walking away, so I guessed that was a plus.

"How's the punch?" Was the first question I decided to ask him. I probably should've introduced myself, but he wouldn't remember my name if I said something so boring. He snorted and looked down at his cup.

"Bloody awful," was his response. "Whatever it's mixed with is gross." Before I could defend myself, he offered me his cup. I had already taken a drink seeing as I was the one who made it, but I decided to go for it. I took a drink and immediately tasted the bitter alcohol on my tongue.

"What the hell, it's spiked?!" I coughed. Of course, I had a whole table full of alcohol and I put out one large pitcher of punch that non-alcoholic, but somebody poisoned it. I wanted to go figure out who it was, but Dan's laugh kept me there.

"Exactly," He smirked. Now I realized why he had only been sipping it.

"So, why aren't you out dancing and socializing?" I looked at the crowd.

"This doesn't count as socializing?" He raised an eyebrow and pointed in between us. Before I could explain, he laughed again. "I'm joking, I know what you mean." He took another sip of the punch. "I just don't like parties. I think they're gross. This music is so loud and bad and everybody is just grinding and drinking until they leave and go have sex with each other."

As the host, I was a little offended, but I could see what he meant. I only threw parties because I liked to hang out with people and I thought drinking and music was part of the regime. It never bothered me, so I just didn't really care what other people did. I decided not to mention it, though, because spending this time with Dan was so far was way too fun.

"Why come then?" I wondered. He seemed to think for a few moments, and then he shrugged.

"I'm already the weird new kid, so I figured maybe this way I'd be able to talk to someone other than Louise. Don't get me wrong, she's great, but I don't want to be too clingy, you know?" He finally looked at my face and I'm pretty sure my heart completely skipped a beat.

"Yeah, I get what you mean. You seem pretty cool though." He smiled and nodded.

"So, who's hosting this dumb party anyway?" He suddenly changed the subject.

"Me," I answered simply. Dan's response instantaneous- his mouth falling open, his eyes wide, his face as red as the Solo Cup he was holding- and he immediately started stammering out apologies on insulting my party. "I see why you're not socializing, you're not very good at it."

Dan seemed like he was about to say something in either defense or more apologizing, but he realized I was kidding and laughed. "Seriously though, I'm sorry. I just don't enjoy parties too much and needed to rant."

"It's fine, I don't mind." I smiled.

..........

"You actually invited him?" I was interrupted from getting a drink by Luke and Jack. This time Jack was the one speaking. They weren't looking at me, though, they were looking at Dan. Dan was currently waiting outside on a few of the chairs sitting there. We wanted to get away from the crowd and actually talk, and there were only a few people scattered outside.

"Yeah, I told you I would." I shrugged. "Do you have a problem with that?" I wondered. They both looked like they wanted to say something, but didn't. "That's what I thought. I'm going to go talk to him and if either of you wants to join..." I thought about how a conversation with us three would go, "just don't."