Fallen Master

Hours had gone by since we returned from our failed mission. I was lying in the middle of my bed, aimlessly staring at the white ceiling with nothing better to do.

A lot had went down during the mission and I just wanted a moment to breathe and relax.

I heard a knock coming from the left and when I turned my head towards that direction, I saw Kakashi Sensei perched outside my window.

I let out a sigh, not wanting to get out of bed, but willed myself to get off. I walked over to the window and opened it up.

"There's a door at the front you know. Where people normally go knock."

"Guess I'm not normal then," he said with a shrug of his shoulders and I playfully rolled my eyes at him before cutting to the chase.

"So what brings you here?"

His one visible eye turned serious after I had asked and I suddenly felt this uneasiness beginning to stir in the pit of my stomach.

"Lady Tsunade has summoned you and Naruto. I've already informed Naruto so he should be out any second now."

"Do you know the reason?" I asked with my back turned to him as as I went on ahead to grab my ninja sandals.

"Yes, but it's not my place to tell."

I finished slipping on my sandals and headed out the door, leaving Kakashi Sensei to close the window for me.

I stepped outside my home and saw Naruto leaned up against the wall with his hands in pockets waiting for me.

"Ready?" He asked and I nodded my head and we both walked down the stairs together and met up with Kakashi Sensei.

We shortly arrived outside the Hokage's tower, but we were surprised to see Gamabunta and Gamakichi right next to the tower.

"What are you guys doing here? Did something happen?" Curiously asked Naruto, finding it strange that they were here. And honestly so did I. But there was only one reason that came to mind as to why they were here.

"If they're here then that means Jiraiya Sensei should be here too. Let's go see him. He has to be inside." I grabbed Naruto's hand and dragged him inside the building all the way up to the office with Kakashi Sensei right behind us.

I knocked on the door and heard Lady Tsunade's voice say 'come in' and we made our way inside. But we weren't the only ones there. Sakura, Sai, and a few toads who were seated on the ground were there too. The only not present was Jiraiya Sensei.

"These two are Jiraiya-boy's students?" The green toad asked Lady Tsunade. The green toad looked rather old and had a white mohawk styled hair with thick eyebrows and a goatee. He had yellow eyes with black irides and he wore a light brown high collared cloak.

"Yes. This is Naruto Uzumaki and (Y/n) (L/n). The boy being the child of prophecy you mentioned."

"A geezer frog? What the hell?" Mumbled out Naruto with a raised brow.

"Hey! Watch your mouth, Naruto! This is Lord Fukasaku, one of the Two Great Sages of Mount Myoboku," she gestured to him with her hand. "He came all the way here to speak with you two."

"I'm actually a Great Toad Sage, but that isn't important at the moment." He inspected both of our faces before continuing, "You two are without a doubt Jiraiya-boy's students."

Hearing Fukasaku call Jiraiya a boy irked Naruto enough to raise his voice at him. "Jiraiya-boy? Boy?! You talk like Pervy Sage is a kid, but he's not! Who do you think you are?!"

"Easy there," I placed my hand on his shoulder trying to get him to calm down.

"He's the one who taught Lord Jiraiya Sage Jutsu. He's Lord Jiraiya's master," informed Shizune.

I heard Fukasaku chuckle before he erupted into a roar of laughter. "Pervy Sage, huh? What a fitting name for him."

"So what does this old geezer want with us anyways?" Asked Naruto since it was still unclear as to why we were here.

Fukasaku's laughter died down and he let out a sigh, knowing that it was time to break the news. "I'm not sure where to begin but I suppose this is the most important topic at the moment." He stopped and paused for a second before directly looking at Naruto and I. "...Jiraiya boy has died in battle."

"What?" I uttered in disbelief. My heart was slowly sinking at the news and I didn't want to believe that someone like him was dead.

"W-what are you talking about?" Stuttered out Naruto unsure whether he misheard or not.

"That..can't be true...right?" I took a look at everyone but they all wore a grim expression on their face. Deep down I was hoping that none of this was true, but this isn't something one would joke about.

I turned to face Lady Tsunade for confirmation and she could see the desperation in my eyes, but she averted her eyes away from me, not wanting to see my distraught face and the tears that were beginning to prick my eyes.

"I'm sorry," she painfully whispered. In that moment, the small lingering hope that I had vanished and everything came crumbling down.

I shook my head in denial but my mind was whirling back to when Naruto and I were with Jiraiya Sensei and that's when my eyes began to slowly widen in realization as I started to recall the last few words that were exchanged that day.

"and...I love you two brats."

"Pfft, hearing all this, you act like you're dying soon."

"Ha, me? One of the three great Legendary Sanin! Never!"

"Bye Sensei/Ero-Senin! We'll see you once we come back!"

I felt my legs grow weak and I slumped to the ground and made a loud thump as I hit my knees against the floor. The force of it left a small sting on my knees but that was nothing to the pain I was feeling inside my heart. My heart grew cold and heavy from the overwhelming sadness but there was also a small flame of anger that was igniting as well. I was irked and angered with the ones who did this to our Sensei, but also because he didn't give us some sort of warning about all this and that he was going on a mission that could potentially end his life.

Every memory from the time we met to our training sessions and our two and half year trip to the last moment we shared ran through my head, but they all shattered into pieces.

"Gah!" A stinging sensation burned my eyes and I instantly placed my hands over both of them. This had alarmed everyone and had prompted Naruto and Sakura to kneel down and ask, "H-hey, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

I clutched my eyes shut for a second before I removed my hands and quickly opened my eyes. A gasp was heard throughout the room at the sight of my tears mixed with my newly awakened eyes.

The Mangekyo Sharingan.

A/n: Officially going into Pain Arc woo! Originally gonna have (Y/n) follow Jiraiya and intervene in the fight before he got killed. But in the end, Jiraiya would've sacrificed himself to help (Y/n) escape leaving (Y/n) guilt ridden.
But I ended up changing my mind!

Hope you all keep enjoying the story and much love for all of you!