Chapter 36: Sacrifice

"I won't do it." She shook her head in a fast manner.

"Why not?"

"Because I will not take your life, Serafina. He deserves this. Not you." I shook my head.

"I sentenced 300 of Trikru warriors to death by burning them alive." She paused but still shook her head.

"Clarke did that. Not you." I huffed.
"I ordered Clarke to pull the lever. My people killed Anya. I left your people in Mount Weather."

I saw her tense.
"I respect you, Serafina. What you're willing to do for your people... For peace, it is not something many others would do. I am sorry, but my decision still stands. Finn or War. This is our way, Princess. I'm sorry."

As she spoke I continue to fall deeper into the emotional pit. This is the result of Gian being gone, the fight with Bellamy, and now my father knows what happened.

Lexa took a few steps over motioning to the two chairs.

"You came here upset. Your people are not willing to hand him over? Was judgment passed?" I sat down across from her as I wiped my face and took a breath, attempting to calm myself.

"I am sure at this moment it is being discussed but I left the camp when I told the leadership the news," I told her gaining her curiosity.

"And how did they react to your news?" I paused.
"They were under the impression that you would allow them to hold a trial controlled by them to punish Finn for war crimes." She scrunched her eyebrows together.

"They would have us believe he is to be fairly tried? That Justice would be had this way?" She asked in a disbelieving manner.

I nodded my head to her.
"They listen when I told them how you were unsure punishment would be given to Bellamy when your warriors were killed. I explained that unless you were sure that the punishment would be equal to the crime, you would refuse." She nodded once telling me I was right in my assumption.

"You told them about taking the punishment for him... Referring to Bellamy." I sighed and looked away.

"He was in the meeting when I told them." Lexa nodded in understanding.

"And you had not told him yet." She answer for herself and I nodded.

"We spoke of other options aside from the trial or handing Finn over. I hadn't told them I was handing myself over but I did not need to. A friend named Raven had told Bellamy my plan already." She looked at what was probably driving to the streaks on my face.

"You fought." She started to say.
"You are lovers then? Bellamy and you?" I hesitated.

"Bellamy and I are complicated. We were not together officially but held strong feelings. We act like we were but we never gave it a name. Then I moved on and Gian became my person." I started to question myself not noticing the sad flash that passed Lexa's face.

"What if Gian never comes back? Do I move on? Would there be a chance with Bellamy after all he did?"

"You requested that of me after your fight with Bellamy?" She gave me a confused look. "He would lose you. So would your people."

I gave Lexa a look that said 'Oh well.'
"Lexa..my people and Bellamy solve problems by fighting. If I could save both sides from loss of life, then I would." She gave me a nod and a smile.

"That is why you are rare Heda gon Sonraun. But what I am confused about though is if Bellamy was angry with you... Why did you come here instead of going to him?" I thought about it.

"Because I ran. I ran from my fear."
I conclude it out loud.

"What did you have to fear?"
"That he would be too angry to listen to reason." I look from the ground at her as she gave me a sad smile.

"You love him?" She asked me softly. I sighed.
"I used to."
"You did not tell him." I shook my head.

"I've only experienced love once but what I can tell you however is this..." She paused looking at me. I nodded telling her to go on.

"You are the leader of your people. You-as far as I have seen-have this love that you hold for your people and you sacrifice so much so that they may live. Don't run from your problems, you face them. Go to him. Tell him you loved him. Clear the air. If he loves or loved you too then I am sure he would listen to your explanation." She stood up and told me to my feet as she then squeezed both of my hands.

"However, should he not listen to you and refused to see the reason behind your decisions as a leader, come back here. You can come with me to the capital or we can even make him see reason together." She dropped my hands walking back over to the war table covered in things. She pick something up and turned around towards me.

"There is something else that I haven't told you.....this is Gian's sword. I had not been able to give this to you until now. It was found after the battle and we were under the impression that he passed on in the Battle of your people against my 300 Warriors. He would have wanted you to take this so he can protect you in spirit." She handed me the sword with both hands.

I felt my hands begin to shake and my heart skipped a beat. Gian...my Gian. He's gone?

"Take it with you. It is near nightfall and your people will soon be out of time -" Lexa was cut off by her guard Gustus coming into the tent.

"What is it, Gustus?" She looked at him.

"The Sky people have given us a message through a woman at their gate. Two of ours rode here to tell us. They say that they are ready to fight." Lexa looked at me angrily.

"Did you know of this?" I shook my head still in shock. Gian was gone. Bellamy is angry with me and now I'm about to lose the entire camp because Abby was being stupid.

"That is not all Commander. The murderer and a group of others have fled to their old camp."

I stepped forward, adding Gian's sword beside my own on my left side. I would make sure it was safe and carry it with me always.
"How many others?" I asked him.

"There were four others that we know of not including the killer you call Finn." I nodded looking at Lexa.

"Do what you have to do but do not harm the others beside Finn." She looked at Gustus.
"Bring me the one responsible but leave the others. They are not to be harmed." She commanded him and he bowed.

"Sha Heda."(Yes commander.) He replied walking out.

She looked at me once more.
"You may stay with me here or go back to your camp to watch with the others." She gave me a moment to think in silence.

"I will stay. Finn must come back and I will see to it that the other four make it to the camp from here. If they are to watch then I should stay with you. I don't want them to act out and attack. They will not do so if I were to stand with you."
She nodded looking down at my clothes.

"Then we must see to it that you look like one of us. You are of high rank therefore, you must look like so during the ceremony."