Chapter 18: Exodus

It was only a little while into the trip to Tondc when a loud crack came from the sky.
"Stop!" I yelled to everyone getting down from my horse.

I looked up into the sky taking a few steps in a circle to find it.
A drop ship specifically the one to carry the guards was plummeting to earth.

"It will crash." I heard Anya mumble.
I glanced to her in worry before looking back at the ship.

She was right. It had no parachute and no rockets to slow it down. It exploded on impact.

I fell to my knee's crying out. I felt a large warm body wrapped around me as I fell. His arms protecting me from everything but the pain inside of me.
My father would have been on that Exodus ship.

"Princess we must continue. There were no survivors in that crash." Gian whispered pulling me up to stand.

I shook my head getting a hold of myself. I wiped the tears from my face.

"Your family was on that ship?" Anya asked as I mounted my horse.
I nodded.
"My father," I told her stoically.
"Your mother?" She asked in a low voice.

I shook my head. "She has passed on from sickness." I told her the version I was told.

"What was her name?" She asked me.
I smiled a little remembering her.
"Queen Grace." I replied in kind.

"She raised you with respect and honor." I looked to Anya and nodded my head in a bow.

"Much thanks Anya of Trikru."

---‐-------------------

It was early morning and the light had just begun to show in the sky. This meant we were almost there.

"What should I expect?" I asked Anya.
She thought for a second before replying.

"Heda Lexa was my second. Well trained. She has respect and honor. She is Trikru. She also doesn't like lying." I nodded remembering her name. Lexa. Heda Lexa.

"When we get there you will hand your weapons in before entering Tondc. It is for the safety of the Commander." Gian instructed me. I sighed but nodded.

It was a little while later when we rode up toward a giant metal gate.

The gate slowly rolled open and two big guards walked out nodding to Anya.

I unarmed handing them my sword, knife on my leg, and the bag so they could check it. Once they took the knife from there and handed me back the bag we moved on.

"You will get them back when you leave." I nodded to Gian before we rode through the gates.

Guards stood in a line and behind them stood a bald man in robes, a tall rough man with a face tattoo, and a woman with a shoulder sash like mine but red.

I observed her for a moment while we got off the horses. She had eye paint and a black symbol between her eyes. She also held a hand on her sword and observed me.

I flattened out the dress and a few women rushed to fix my train. I smiled at them in thanks.
It was now that I realized the crowd of people around us making a path toward the Commander.

Without anyone's approval I started to walk in her direction. People bowed as I walked by and I smiled at them.
I stepped toward the guards and two stepped forward.

"No." She said softly. They took a step back. Hearing footsteps behind me I looked over my shoulder. Anya approached my right side and Gian my left.

"Heda Lexa." Anya said kneeling along with Gian.

Everyone else did as well but I stood tall. I bowed me head once before holding my head high.

"Rise." She said to everyone else while watching me.

"You did not bow." The man in robes said on the left.

I shook my head twice slowly still looking at Lexa.
"I was raised to only bow my head if ever. I don't bow or kneel. I don't mean to offend. I honor and respect your rank. That was just how I was raised." She nodded once.

"You are Princess Serafina of Skaikru. The one's responsible for almost killing Anya. Killing four more of my warriors in Trikru territory and invading our lands." She spoke firmly.

I looked to Gian who was worried before once more directing my attention to her.
Before I could speak Anya did.
"Heda Lexa. The Princess was unaware of the four warriors. Their people I am told did not know the earth was survivable. I owe the princess my life. Her people acted without her knowledge and attacked. She still saved my life than in payment for her people's actions gave her own life to Trikru so no more of her people would die." Lexa looked from Anya in confusion to me.

"You saved her then when your people wronged us you gave your life to us as payment so they wouldn't have to?" She asked me not believing it. I turned to Gian and nodded to his shirt.

"Take it off, Gian." He glanced at Lexa who nodded her consent.

He took off the shirt showing the bruises and buckle Mark's on his chest and once he turned on his back as well.

He put the shirt back on once I nodded to him.

I turned back to Lexa.
"He protected me and saved my life. My people the leader under me tortured him and another warrior named Lincoln. My people have wronged you but they have lost enough. I will pay for their action for them. They need not do so." After I finished speaking Gian took a step forward before kneeling to Lexa.

"Heda...the princess when I was being tortured stepped in front of me. She was hit with sparks like lightning three times. She stopped them from hurting us further by cutting herself with a poisoned knife. I beg you Commander do not kill her. I care for her." I teared up at what Gian said but did not look at Lexa again. I looked from Gian to the floor.

"If you decide otherwise to not spare my life Commander I have one request. If you kill me then all of my people live. My death is not wasted.
My life for all of theirs." I stayed silent after this as Gian stood and put a hand on my shoulder. I smiled looking at his storm like face. He was angry.

I closed my eyes waiting for her decision. Everyone was tense for a few moments until she spoke.

"You will not die today Princess Serafina of Skaikru." I looked at the commander worried.

"My people.."She shook her head.

"I trust you will see to it those responsible are punished and put in their proper place."
The bald man in the robes stepped forward.

"Heda. May I suggest she take at least one punishment for their actions? We can not be sure she will punish her own people." He said to her out loud. She looked from him to me.

I nodded. "I respect your rank, your people, your title, and your decisions. If you feel that will not live up to your standards now then punish me as you see fit." I could see she was thinking about it hard. I knew what I had to do.

I heard whispers behind me coming from the crowd of people. I looked to Gian who was upset and clenching his hands.

"I have one request if it is to be a punishment and not death Heda." She nodded to me. "I do not know your traditions but I do know mine. My people whipped Gian as torture. Therefore all I ask for is equality as my punishment."

"No!" He roared trying to pull me back. I stood my ground as I was shaking my head. "You do not get to decide. The commander does. I'm sorry Gian." He shook his head looking to the commander pleadingly.

"You say they whipped him..you are asking for the same treatment?" She asked in a stoic manner.
I nodded still looking at Gians face.
"He is not to be present." I looked at Lexa. She nodded and looked to a guard who escorted him away. I watched as my protector and the man I had come to care for fought the warriors to get to me. It took almost four men to drag him back. He roared his disapproval as he was forced to leave.

"You will change and prepare." She instructed and Anya led me away.