Chapter 19: Bare it.

After I changed I left the clothes there and my crowns.

I slowly breathed in and out as I walked back to the court yard.
There stood all of Tondc, Lexa, and Anya. A man from the commander's guard stepped forward with a type of seat belt. A buckle on the end.

"I want your word. This is payment for all of my peoples past actions." She nodded looking at me in saddness.

I looked to the man and sighed.
"Four men killed. Three injured. Anya was almost killed. Disrespect to the Commander from my people. The torture of two warriors. We took your territory." 12 lashes.

He nodded understanding what I was trying to tell him. I turned around facing Lexa and for the first time ever I kneeled.

"Begin." Lexa ordered.

I did not hold anything in my hands. I did not fall over. I did not scream.
What I did do...was stay still. I put on a stoic face and with every hit on my skin I just took it. I had to bare it. Every slice hit deeper than the last. I became lightheaded as one in particular hit bone on my right shoulder.

I looked at Lexa right before the last one. She was saddened but put on a brave face just as I did.

"Bring in the warrior Gianni." The bald man in robes nodded to a guard. I gasped for breath. I didn't want him to see this. I looked down as I heard him enter. His heavy feet driving directly at me.

I could feel his eyes running over my kneeling form that hadn't moved from my kneeling position. I would not move until she told me so.

"How many marks did they put on your skin?" The bald man asked Gian. My eyes flashed to the man. I looked to Lexa and nodded in understanding.

"There are sixteen marks on his skin." I croaked looking to the ground. I refused to look at him.

I had to do this. I knew they wouldn't take him back out.

I didn't let Lexa do it this time.
"Begin."

I made it to eight lashes before I finally screamed. I let out a heavy breath bending over before gaining my strength back and sitting back up.
I felt large rough hands grab my own.
I looked up to see Gian kneeling infront of me. I let out a breath of relief as I soaked in his presence. My Gian. My protector.

I had tears in my eyes as he put his forehead against my own as the man continue.
"28." I whispered to him. He sighed squeezing my hands before rubbing his thumbs over my knuckles.
"Breath with me." He whispered.

Smack. The buckle hit my shoulder bone once again. I went to scream but Gian held his hand over my mouth.

He took it away holding my hand.
"Seven more. You can do it. Almost there little princess. Stay with me." He whispered. I nodded slowly as our eyes stayed locked together.
The man paused catching his breath before I whispered to Gian.

"They can never know." He looked at me pained but nodded firmly.

The next seven were hard and fast each one overlapping with another mark vibrating to the bone.

When it was done I just leaned forward into Gians chest as he held me. He shushed me and stroked the back of my head with his hand as he pulled me into him.
"You did it. I'm so proud of you. You did it." He whispered.

I heard people shuffling around me and murmuring.

I was eventually lifted up and put face down on a long material before it started to move.

"Heda gon sonraun." A womans voice spoke as she grabbed my shoulder while we walked.

"What does it mean?" I whispered to her weakly as I looked up at her.
"It means the Commander of Life."
I smiled weakly before setting my head back down. The sharp pains running through my body as I tried to take deep breaths. It hurt to move.