Chapter 35: A Life for a Life

My father and I walked through the tree line together.

"Don't shoot!" He shouted to the guards. As we picked up the pace.
Approaching the gate I saw Bellamy running out towards me.
He picked me up into a hug burying his nose into my neck. I awkwardly accepted the hug.

He set me down. But didn't let me go holding me from my waist instead. He kissed my forehead quickly before pulling away. He smiled at me with his dimples. This definitely needed to be talked about.

"I'm happy you came back. Raven had told me when we got to the drop ship earlier today...you were planning to take Finn's place if they asked for him?"
I ran my hand through his curly hair. "Yes." I whispered to him.

He looked over my shoulder before giving me another boyishly cute smile and removing his hands on my waist.  I'm guessing my father gave him a look.

Stepping back he held my hand as I look over towards my father when we started to walk. He had his eyebrows raised. Apparently while I was in Mount Weather no one bothered to tell my dad about Bellamy and I's past feelings for each other. I shook my head as I stepped away from Bellamy and glanced at the trees. He was out there somewhere.

Walking through the gates I saw my dad smiling at Abby and walking into the ark with her.
I sighed looking to Bellamy.
"Come on." I pulled him with me and followed them. "Hold up." I told Abby as she went to shut the door to the office where we had meetings.

We walked in and sat down with my father. I noticed him glance to Bellamy's hand laced with mine and I quickly let go.

"Where did they keep you?" Abby asked my dad.
"Uh the commanders strong hold I think."

She nodded.
"I wasn't a prisoner but I wasn't allowed outside either that was until last night when they brought me up here with a bag over my head." He sighed.

The sound of the door opening had us all look up. Jaha was escorted in by two guards and restraints on his wrist.

"Abby?" I questioned her. She looked away and my father turned toward her.

"What is this? What's going on?" He asked her.
"Well apparently the Chancellor thinks I'm a very dangerous man." Jaha said looking to Abby.

"Hold on. So all three of you are the Chancellor?" I asked them confused. They ignored me. I tended as Abby told the guards to wait outside.

"The former chancellor is being detained for treason."

"No offense Marcus but I'm keeping the job until this is over." Abby told my father.
I shook my head looking to Bellamy who sighed but nodded for me to do my thing.

"I would advise you not to fight her on this." Jaha said to dad.
"You bought us time how?" She questioned my father.

"I've gotten to know the commander and I believe she'd be open to the right proposal."

I stood up nervously.
"What kind of proposal dad?"

"We offer to put the boy in trial. Ourselves. Here. For war crimes." I looked at him like he was crazy.

"Does no one listen to me when I say that she told us blood must have blood. If she is not sure justice will be served for 18 deaths, she will refuse.
Do you honestly believe that we will kill him in a way they believe is justice?" They all looked at me.

"Do you want to explain how you just know she will refuse?" Abby asked me.

I sighed knowing Bellamy had to find out at some point and so did my father. I had an open back shirt but it was covered by a jacket.

I took a step away from my chair and removed my jacket setting it on the table. Before I turned around I looked to Abby.
"Lexa was not sure I would punish Bellamy and the others for killing the grounders at the meeting on the bridge. I wouldn't have and she was right. So instead a man suggested she kill me. I told her if Bellamy and the others lived than she could have me instead." I looked to Bellamy who had tears in his eyes and was clenching his fist.

"Lexa will not say yes to this. I told her if she didn't feel that justice in their eyes was not going to be done then she should punish me for it not them." Glancing to my father whose eyes looked sad and confused I turned around.

"Baby girl-" I turned seeing my dad start to cry. I sighed putting the jacket back on. I looked to Bellamy who was looking to the table with clenched fists and tears running down his cheeks. I have a strong feeling he still has feelings for me.

"Who.All.Knew." Bellamy gritted out.
"Just Raven and Abby. They had to clean the wounds and bandage my back." He looked up glaring at Abby.

"You and Raven didn't think to tell me about this!?" He stood up.
I grabbed his arm getting his attention.

He looked down at me breathing harshly.
"All this time you were going to do it weren't you?" He questioned.
I knew he was talking about Finn and trading my life for his.

"I was but Bell-" He pulled away and stormed out. I stood there for a second trying to think.

"He will come back Sera. You did what was right and kept those kids alive including him." I nodded not looking to Abby.

"Excuse me." I whispered and left the room. I walked outside of the ark with tears running down my face, heading straight for the gate.

"Open the gate." Seeing the look on my face the man didn't question me.
Before I walked through I told him one last thing.
"You never saw me. Anyone asks I snuck out." He nodded and turned away.

I walked out of the camp and down the trail I had taken from the army.
Leaving the tree line I ignored every warrior threatening me and walked up to Lexa's tent. I looked at her guard outside.
"Gustus tell her I need to speak with her now." He nodded and went in.

After a minute he came out holding the tent flap for me.
"The commander will see you now."

I walked into the tent and saw her standing over some papers.
"Did you bring him?" She asked not looking at me.
"Lexa." I whispered. She stood up straight looking to me.

"What is it?" She looked confused as tears ran down my face.

"Make the trade. Life for a life. Take me instead."