Chapter 16: Four Months Later

Start from the beginning

Caroline quickly ran up to Josh. "Josh, stop. It's a trap, please."

"Someone shut her up!" Isaiah yelled.

The small red dot appeared on Caroline's back.

"Caroline, get out of here. Isaiah, this is your last chance!" Josh yelled.

"Josh, don't do this!" Matt screamed, rushing through the back door and standing in front of Isaiah. "Isaac Taylor, you're no killer."

"Matt, move!" Josh yelped, trying to push Caroline out of the way.

Isaiah looked at Matt with confusion. "What are you doing?"

"Oh, believe me, I want you to feel pain beyond you can imagine," Matt hissed, "but not like this. Isaac, drop the bow."

"Josh, please get out of here," Caroline exclaimed.

"Someone shut her up!" Isaiah yelled again.

"You shut up," Caroline muttered.

It all happened within a fraction a second, a blur too fast for Josh to comprehend.

"Thank you," Caroline whispered, tears welling in her eyes as she grasped his hand.

"No," Josh whimpered, shaking his head. "Please, no."

She was on the floor faster than he could remember.

His finger pulled back on the trigger as he let out a blood curdling scream.

"Matthew?" Josh whimpered, making his way across the room. "Matt, can you hear me?"

"Caroline?" Isaiah's voice trembled. "I-I didn't mean it like that, you morons!"

—————

"Hello?" came Catherine's voice over the phone.

"Ma'am," the police officer said through the phone. "Am I speaking to Mrs. Collins?"

"Yes," Catherine replied. "Is something wrong?"

"I just got a request from someone on scene to call you. I'm afraid someone in relation or in correlation to you and Mrs. Taylor has passed away."

"What?" Catherine gasped. "Who?"

"Not sure, Ma'am. Just...just get here as soon as you can," the officer said, clearly troubled about what he had seen.

"Hey," Mari grinned, barreling down the stairs. "What's up? Any news?"

"Someone died," Catherine frowned. "We need to go. Carlos, watch the twins!"

"Will do," he nodded.

Mari's face turned red. "What?" She said weakly. "Who?"

"They didn't say who. We just- we need to go," Cath stammered.

"Is Isaac okay?!" Mari yelped, grabbing her hand as her eyes filled with horror. "Is he okay?!"

"I don't know," Catherine cried, pulling her friend out the door and running to the car.

Mari stared into the dash board, her heart pounding a millions miles an hour. "I can't- I can't breathe, Cath."

"Just calm down. I'm sure they're both fine," Catherine nodded optimistically, though she too was silently panicking.

"No, Catherine," Mari whispered, putting a hand on the arm rest and squeezing it tightly, "I-I don't know what's happening."

"Take deep breaths."

When they arrived at the scene, Catherine leapt out of the car. "What happened?! Who died?!"