What Beauty Can do with a Blade

Start from the beginning

"Brianna, mages don't use swords or weapons, that is what knights are for. Here wear this one it will compliment your figure very well." Mina hands me a crimson red gown with sleeves that expose my shoulders and a tight bustier. I sigh and make an attempt to put myself into it. I pull up the skirt and hold the bustier up to my chest as Mina does up the corset back as tight as possible which seems to push my breasts up even further, I didn't think they could. 

"There, see? That looks stunning Brianna, you look like a true mage." Mina says.

"I still don't see the practicality in this outfit, do mages actually wear this into battle? I don't think I can walk in this." As I move off the pedestal I trip over the fabric and fall into Mina,we both tumble to the ground.
"I'm sorry mina, I don't really know how to wear this? Can we make some changes?"

"Of course! We can do whatever you like." I have the rest of the girls help me back up onto the pedestal, as they talk amongst themselves on how to make this gown something I can walk in. I know exactly what to do.

"Ladies! Can we make two slits up to my upper thigh in the front? Then at least I won't be walking on fabric. I'll be walking through it."

"Yes we can do that." Mina says. They huddle around me cutting and threading, within a few minutes they have cut and sewn two slits in the dress exposing each leg. They marvel in their tailoring skills, telling me how great of an idea it was. But it was just practical, I can at least kick someone in the face if I have to, I tell them. They cackle at me having no idea that I'm actually being serious.

That's when we hear a knock on the door.

"Yes?" Mina asks.

"It's Roan, is Brianna in there?"

She looks at me wide eyed. "Yes! She is. She just finished getting her mages gown on. Would you like to be the judge?"

He opens the door and walks in. I close my eyes and turn around looking down. Silence. I look up at Roan, who looks like he had seen light for the first time.

"I take it you like the gown Roan." Mina giggles.

He clears his throat and walks towards me.
"Yes it suits you Brianna. The Queen is waiting for you." He holds out his hand to me as I step off the pedestal this time not falling on my face. Everyone is silent watching us leave the room.

We walk down the long corridor together not saying a word, I find myself nervously fiddling with the fabric of the dress.

"You look beautiful Brianna." Roan finally speaks up.

"Really? I don't find this gown practical at all. I had them cut slits into it just in case I need to fight. I don't know how a mage can wield any weapon in this thing." He bursts out laughing, which makes me stop.

"What's so funny? The girls also laughed at me when I said that." He turns to me with a huge smile on his face.

"Mages almost never carry weapons Brianna, they are casters that is their duty, they stay at a safe distance from their knights and protect them while they do all of the one on one combat."

"What? That's ridiculous! So they just stand there watching you guys have all the fun? There's something wrong with the system Roan."

He howls. "Oh Brianna, I'm so glad I met you. You really are a rare beauty." And that comment shut us both up for a minute. We stand looking at each other trying to read one another's thoughts. I'm sure he can tell mine by the redness of my cheeks. He runs a hand through his hair and looks down.

"Well I'm glad I met you too." I say quietly and carry on walking towards the throne room.

He opens the door for me and I walk in. The room is even more intimidating than the rest of the castle. I pause at the doorway.