Chapter one

Later that day at tegan's apartment

 I still can't believe danie thinks I'm fucking Alex. where did she even get that from. as I'm walking up to the front of my apartment i I think over how she could have possibly come to that conclusion. I haven't really talked to Alex much without it dealing with school. danie hates me already. I need to stop thinking about this before I get a headache because danie is a very complicated person at times. who knows how she came to her conclusion.

I stepped inside my apartment and the facade that I normally uphold outside these walls drops. I hate being at home by myself. I rarely ever come home except to paint, eat and sleep, but after those things, I'm gone.  the walls in my apartment are bare and simple white in color. I have some natural things that say the apartment is me. my living room and my painting room. they're all littered with bunny themes everywhere.

I sigh and walk to my bedroom to get changed and ready to go to fostering butterflies foster care. I volunteer there. I absolutely adore the children. they're one of the few things in life that truly bring me joy, and keep my mind of the demons haunting my dreams and waking life.

Children in foster care don't get the love and attention they need. I want to be the one to give it to them even if it's only for a moment. I've been wanting to adopt this one child I've been being a big sister to. The problem with me adopting her is that her mother still has a claim to her. Even though clearly she's been taken out of the home because some sort of abuse has been going on, but there's still a chance her mom will take her back.

They said give it another year and if the mom can't show she can properly care for the child and that there isn't any danger to her then I can move further forward with the process. They might as hell kick her ass to the curve. They have given her numerous chances already to prove herself. Most people say I'm stupid for trying to fight for the custody of a child whose parents still want her, but the mom abuses her badly. She doesn't deserve her child. I don't understand how she's able to have even a possibility of keeping her child. She's not good enough to be her mother.

Her mom and even some of the foster homes she has previously been in think she's stupid since she doesn't talk and is in her own little world a lot of the time, but she's actually very bright. She's only four yet she draws such pretty pictures. She could be an amazing artist once she gets older.

I'm hoping I can adopt her sometime soon. I've been Working on getting them to let me adopt her. Processing takes a bit of time on top of the fact I have to go through the mom. I've been trying to get her for two years now. Today will be the first day they let me take her home for one night to see how she does. Hopefully, everything goes well.

An hour later at foster butterflies home for children.

"Hey, Mariel how has imani been doing?" I  say after knocking upon her door. 

"Teagan?" she ask me with a puzzled look on her face. not sure why when she's the one who told me to come over a few days ago.

"I'm coming over to help out a little, and to see Imani," I say giving her a bright smile.

"oh- oh yes Imani, um yeah she's in the house somewhere." why is she stuttering so much?

"come here darling and give me a hug. I'm very happy to see you!" Mariel says pulling me in for a warm hug that makes me feel like I'm being hugged by a parent. if my mom was still here I'm sure she would have been around her 50s just like Mrs. Muriel.

 after we hug we walk into her house and her husband Is standing inside at the front door entrance waiting for us he gives me a look I've noticed he's prone to giving me from time to time, and I don't understand why. I simply ignore it.