Chapter 31

"agent Hampton you did a good job! we finally cracked this case after patiently waiting all this time. but don't you ever do no reckless shit like that again? you could have died!" my partner agent dawn says to me and looks at me in an assessing manner. 

she has her arms crossed over her chest while continuing to stare me down. I can tell she's really worried about me. we've been partners for years now. went to the academy and graduated and became C.I.A agents together. for the most part, a lot of our life is a lie and no one close to us knows what we truly do. we both know everything there is to know about each other.

" i know Cammie. don't be mad okay," i say to her with puppy dog eyes.

"don't you use that damn nickname on me!" she snaps at me and turns her back on me.

She's insisting on being stubborn right now so i slowly get out of the hospital bed i was in and make my way over to where she's standing at the foot of the bed.

"I'm sorry cam, please forgive me," i say to her turning her gently around to face me. when she turns around there are tears spilling from her eyes, and so much emotion in them. i see worry, scared, and emotion I try my best to avoid all these years we've been working together. i know how she feels, but i can't give her what she wants and deserves. 

"i promise i won't endanger myself like that again. please forgive me," i beg her again and then enclose her in my arms knowing she is weak to my hugs, and that shell melts into them the moment I circle my arms around her. in an instant i feel her body melt into mine, and she lets all her tears out. i simply hold her in my arms and comfort her as best i can.

"mmh sorry to interrupt, but i wanted to speak with you before she arrives." the person who helped us to be able to catch mine and teagans childhood kidnappers says as she entered my hospital room

"you're fine," I say stepping back from Camron and giving her a slight head nod to let her know I need a little bit of time with the lady that just walked into the room. she gives me a look like she is about to protest, but seems to think about it and then simply nods her head and walks out the room.

i slowly make my way back to the bed to sit down, and cringe at the small sharp pain I feel from the stitches in my abdomen. i lay back and look over at her standing there like she doesn't know what to do with herself. 

"come sit down," I say to her and she makes her way over stiffly to sit on the edge of my hospital bed,

"are you really going to leave without telling her or talking to her??" I ask her and she just sits there silently.

"she's been doing good without me. she doesn't need me. I gave her all the money she could ever possibly need. I was thinking about going on a small vacation and finally grieving now that this is all over." looking at her beautiful brown skin I can see that the years and stress of this case have worn away at her.  her short brown afro is peppered with graying hair, but she still looks so beautiful.

"i understand and if that's what you really want i wont say anything else." i want to pressure her,but i have no right. i understand how tired she is and she still hasn't greved at all. she deserves some time off and time to greve.

"well if you're going to leave you should probably do it before she gets here. her and her friends will be arriving soon. i received a text from her not too long ago." i say looking down at my phone. I look back at the older woman and for a second i see longing in her eyes as she stares at my phone.