Chapter 150

(M/N) = Mother's name

You observed, with enamored eyes and a captivated smile, Law's back as he heated your dinner on the stove, which had gotten cold. A second later, you decided he was too far away and left your stool to hug his waist, trying not to hinder his task.

He offered an honest smile. "It's almost ready."

You gently snuggled his shoulder before looking inside the pot. "Soup?"

"Vegetable soup," he confirmed. "Light, nutritious, and healthy."

"And romantic, too," you joked with a playful laugh.

He sent you another quick gaze. "I knew you weren't feeling well, it was better to cook something you could eat."

He turned off the stove, and you stood on your tiptoes to peck his cheek before freeing him to hand him the ladle. "You know me well," you thanked.

After he served the soup, you headed to the small but tall table in the corner and sat one across from the other.

"Be careful, it's hot now," Law reminded you. After a moment, his hand reached for yours over the table, and he held it, his thumb brushing the ring for a second. "Are you happy?"

You nodded effusively, some more tears filling your eyes, and squeezed his hand. You would never let it go. You didn't have to. It would always be there for you to hold. "I can't believe it."

He lifted your hand to his lips and kissed it, his own eyes overflowed with love as they watched you. You kept repeating you couldn't believe it, but he felt the same. He just hoped he wasn't condemning you. However, at that moment, seeing you so happy and remembering how sad you had been, all he could do was feel it was indeed the right choice, his determination for not giving up no matter how much his fears yelled growing stronger.

You managed to look away from him to inspect the fairy lights hanging on the wall next to you. "Did you bring these from home?"

His eyes didn't leave your beautiful face. "No, they're from the hotel. This table wasn't here, either. I told the staff and they arranged it," he explained. "Turns out people fall over themselves to help you when you tell them you're going to propose to your girlfriend."

You giggled. "Were you embarrassed?"

"A little," he confessed. He loathed letting random people know about his private life and feelings. However, even though he didn't like talking with people, sometimes it was hard not to talk about you, his biggest passion.

With a last squeeze, you withdrew your hand so he could grab the spoon and eat. "So..." you began after a brief silence, but stopped there.

"So?" Law repeated.

You looked at him and cleared your throat before taking a new spoonful and swallowing. "You said you want to have kids."

"Hm..." He had to make an effort to recall it; he was functioning on automatic in those moments and talked directly from his heart, so he wasn't sure of what he actually said. "I said it, didn't I? I wasn't really thinking."

"Which means you do want kids," you noted.

"I'm guessing you don't?" he shot back, matter-of-factly.

You twisted your mouth pensively. "It's not that I don't want them. I have no idea of what I want," you admitted. "Most of the time I feel like it's a bad idea; too much responsibility, money, my health is not the best... But sometimes I feel like I could do it and don't want to miss it. So I don't know." You met his silvery gaze with a shrug and smiled apologetically.